Stuck with beginner diver who runs out of air in 20 mins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ange2014

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi there -
On a recent short liveaboard trip, there was a beginner diver who ran out of air in about 20 mins every single time when everyone else in the small group still had enough to dive another 30-40 mins. There was just one guide, so no option of diving in separate groups for the rest of the trip. A pity indeed that we did not get to see as much as we could have given that those were all new sites for us and not so convenient to access. What can I do the next time I am stuck in such a situation? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Don't dive with the guide unless required by law. Make it a point up front and stick to it.

Solo card and a pony tank? If the liveaboard requires you to have a DM in the water, you could suggest that he carry an extra tank for the new diver or require him to get on the DM's Octo to finish the dive. The DM could also give the new diver a few "tune up" dives and surface training to improve his consumption rate.

Good luck,
Jay

Hi there -
On a recent short liveaboard trip, there was a beginner diver who ran out of air in about 20 mins every single time when everyone else in the small group still had enough to dive another 30-40 mins. There was just one guide, so no option of diving in separate groups for the rest of the trip. A pity indeed that we did not get to see as much as we could have given that those were all new sites for us and not so convenient to access. What can I do the next time I am stuck in such a situation? Thanks in advance for your advice.

What liveaboard was this that limited the entire group to one person's limits? That's a trip I'd like to avoid personally.

Nothing against newbies or their limitations (heck, I am one!), but limiting everyone's dive to the newbie's time of 20 min., and not doing something about it, is unfair. I would have diplomatically spoken with the crew as I realized this. And if after speaking with them, they do not do anything about it, I would never go on that liveaboard again. And I'd warn others. For future trips, I would ask what the policy is with respect to such situations before I booked.

At 2000ish dives, I consider myself a newbie compared to many here. Then again, I really am a newbie, as I go through air like no-one else I dive with. I'm probably just particularly unfit, who knows.

Anyhow, point is - I see it from the other side. On usual dives, my buddy would have to ascend because of my air limitation. So I've started diving bigger tanks. If he's on a 12, I'll dive a 15. If he's on a 15, I'll dive a twin. If we're both on twins, I'll sling 7l with air to extend my dive. Point is, the "polite" thing to do is to adapt to your buddy - both ways.

With a more inexperienced diver, it's harder to ask them to jump into a twinset and sling an extra tank, and generally task load them. I think we've all been in the situation that as soon as you say you're an instructor, they pair you with the most inexperienced diver as it's a load off their hands. Make it clear you are there to have fun, not to teach... and while you would be happy to help a more inexperienced diver, you also want to do some more "challenging" dives, so rotating the newer diver with a second DM, or asking the DM to surface with the diver, ensure he's safely on board, and then rejoining the group?

Questions:
  • Was this diver fluttering, using their hands, and kicking the entire time?
  • What is the depth on these dives?
  • Why do you have to go with the group? I've been on many livaboards and almost all of them will allow you and a buddy to do your own thing.
So on this trip, you mentioned there was only one guide? If that's really the case then the DM would have to adjust the dive to bring this diver back to the boat and finishing the rest of the dive with other folks. Not an optimal situation either way unless this diver gets a dedicated private DM for their dives.

We were all new divers once but I wouldn't hold anything against this livaboard company-they cannot control diver skill levels. Unfortunately it's a matter of pride and not everyone is open to accept they need additional training for this kind of diving/trip.

Noothing against newbies or their limitations (heck, I am one!), but limiting everyone's dive to the newbie's time of 20 min., and not doing something about it, is unfair

Divers use the air they use, my usual evolution with a diver burning through air is to bring the diver back to shore or on the boat and finish the dive solo. If that was not an approved procedure I would be one unhappy customer.

We were all new divers once but I wouldn't hold anything against this livaboard company-they cannot control diver skill levels. Unfortunately it's a matter of pride and not everyone is open to accept they need additional training for this kind of diving/trip.

I wouldn't hold animosity twards the diver, but I would be more than a little upset with the liveaboard. They may not control the divers skill level, but they should have a way to mitigate such a common problem.

If 20 minute dives were going to be the norm I would start discussing a refund. And if that wasn't forth coming, take up my case with them on social media, as well as encouraging the other divers to do the same. That would include 20 minute Charlie, since the the boat is implying he is the problem, rather than their ability to accommodate divers with different abilities.

Bob

Hi there -

It's pretty unusual for there to be that big of a difference in air usage. You're implying a 3:1 difference. At what depths? Would NDL or the length of the dive window have also been limiting? In other words, how much did it actually affect what you could do?

On a liveaboard? I'm surprised that the operator didn't do something to address a problem that serious.

I wouldn't hold animosity twards the diver, but I would be more than a little upset with the liveaboard. They may not control the divers skill level, but they should have a way to mitigate such a common problem.Bob

That's fair but my feeling is why does the group HAVE to go with the DM? I've never been on a livaboard where EVERYONE must follow the DM-I usually buddy up with someone and then we do our own thing. Either way I keep my distance from newer divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom