Stuck with beginner diver who runs out of air in 20 mins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove with a guy that was a Buddha in size and temperament. He had a sac rate of less than .4 He had gills, I swear.

I have turned down dive operations that do not have 100s available to make sure that I do not bring others to the surface to early. I am surprised the liveaboard did not have 100s available.

Most livaboards do have AL100s but they do not advertise it well for some reason. I always make an effort to ask for this option-some boats offer it free, but others may charge you for it.

I dove with a guy that was a Buddha in size and temperament. He had a sac rate of less than .4 He had gills, I swear.

I think we have all met freaks (in the nicest way possible) like that. Just not me. lol

Most livaboards do have AL100s but they do not advertise it well for some reason. I always make an effort to ask for this option-some boats offer it free, but others may charge you for it.
Perhaps most don't carry enough for everyone and are afraid if they advertised it they wouldn't have enough to meet the demand? This way the people that really need/request them can get them? I generally request these for my husband when making reservations (big guy & photographer - I think the photography part is more the issue for him.) I seem to recall running into a couple boats that didn't actually have them but would make a point of getting them on board if requested in advance.

It would be good if all liveaboards had a couple big tanks squirreled away for the heavy breathers that didn't know or think to ask in advance, which would help with situations like the one that started this thread. Though maybe still not enough, in this case.

Aggressor advertised the availability of larger tanks on their web site, so I made that request when I booked my trip. They have months of advance notice to get the tanks aboard for people who requested them. Nevertheless, Aggressor stopped short of guaranteeing me they would have them. We'll see. If they do, it will be nice. If not, no big deal.

Aggressor advertised the availability of larger tanks on their web site, so I made that request when I booked my trip. They have months of advance notice to get the tanks aboard for people who requested them. Nevertheless, Aggressor stopped short of guaranteeing me they would have them. We'll see. If they do, it will be nice. If not, no big deal.

We had a 6 ft 7 inch diver on an aggressor trip in Oct and he requested 100s. They had it for him.

I've only been on one Aggressor trip but, based on them keeping track of requests I made as well as from other divers on my trip, I got the impression that they're pretty on top of things. My cabin buddy had requested an AL100 and they had it onboard for him.

Which one are you going on? Depending on where, it's quite possible that when you get there the day before and need something they don't already have onboard, they will be able to get it for you from a dive shop. I was also given a contact number for their local "land" office and I called them a few days before the trip to make sure what I had asked for was on their radar. Maybe worth doing that as well.

Ya'll are making me worry that I better get 100's when I go diving just to be safe...
That is not the intention at all. As a new diver, you should never feel guilty about your air consumption and you have zero obligation to ensure that the other divers have satisfactory/long/whatever dives. Dive safely and have fun.

I would be blowing my stack with the dive operator. That kind of thing is absolutely intolerable on a liveaboard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom