Strongly considering solo diving - lets talk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott M:
Of course it helps that he has that calming personality that is so infectious.

Mine is just mostly infectious these days...

K

Mo2vation:
Mine is just mostly infectious these days...

K
You're too funny!! :biggrinje

May have missed it, but has anybody pointed to:

http://www.tdisdi.com/sdi/Solo/solo.html?

I often dive solo, sometimes deep but never on penetration. If spearing or picture taking, buddies can be more of a hazard than a help. OTOH, I recently did some spearing with a buddy that was really great: good eyes and helpful.

Scott M:
Do I know you??? :) You sound just like one of my dive friends. He has the same attitude. From listening to him I'm sure he gets more of a charge out of helping than he does diving anymore. Of course it helps that he has that calming personality that is so infectious.

Merry Christmas
Don't know. I have made a few dives up in the LAKE Champlain, St Lawrence area in my lifetime. I like the horse ferry wreck

hh

Manifolded doubles aren't the best choice for solo diving because there are potential failures that can't be isolated. And...I keep telling you that my bp/wing does not push me foreward when I dive a single Al 80. I'm not a great photographer but my stage/decompression bottles don't seem to get in the way. In march I'll be doing the video for a trimix class and I'll have 2 Al 80's slung on my left side at all times. They won't get in the way of the camera. Especially when alone, think twice about mounting entanglement hazards on your back that you can't get off by yourself. I don't even like an argon bottle behind me when I'm diving with a team.

All...

As GDI pointed out the SDI solo course requires a redundant air source but permits the use of manifolded doubles. The divers I know who use manifolded doubles to do solo dives carry a buddy bottle which is a completely seperate bail out. Most use independants and most of those are sidemounted. One has a saying. "Valves belong in your arm pits". Also none of the three SDI solo instructors that I know have ever dived doubles in their life. Good luck with them teaching you valve manipulation. LOL

GDI:
Don't know. I have made a few dives up in the LAKE Champlain, St Lawrence area in my lifetime. I like the horse ferry wreck

If your ever in the Lake Champlain area again look me up you have a friend here. I wasn't certified in time this year to do any diving in the lake. I have an all sand walk out beach and a pontoon boat that will work great for diving.

I don't know how long it's been since you have dove the lake but it has cleared up quite nicely. Vis has been reported this summer 40' to 50'. Ten years ago you were lucky to get 10'. (Zebra Mussel thing)

Take Care
Scott

I have had great buddies and I have had buddies whose skills were insufficient to dive the sites we dove. I don't mind taking a new diver in and offering advice when I'm just doing a loal dive, and can return to the water afterwards.

However, I expect to be paired up with someone of comparable skills and diving abilities when I travel. If a "buddy" claims they have a certain skills level, and it is evident when diving that they do not, I feel the same way I do when I buy a product that fails to meet its marketing hype. I remember one buddy in Fiji who openly stated he would ignore all rules imposed by the DM, etc. When he barreled past 150' depths I left him and signalled the DM to go get him and I would join the rest of the group at 80 ft. I woulkd never dive with that arrogant and disrespectfil *ssh*le again.

However, I have had buddies who acknowledged they had limited skills and high air consumption. When I buddied with them, I dove their dive since I had been advised of the possibility ahead of time. I remember another buddy on the same trip in Fiji who said he had air consumption problems and wanted to stay above 60 ft. We dove his dive and I came up with over half a tank left. He was extremely apologetic but I explained to him that I knew what to expect and we dove as buddies. I was not disappointed in him as he was honest about his abilities.

However, I still prefer diving solo in areas I'm familiar with.

Dr. Bill

Any diver who is well trained in their local 60 deg quarry with 2' vis on a good day, should be able to handle tropical diving. If you can't you are either badly trained or haven't been under in so long your skills are pretty much non-existant.

Well, does your quarry have:

1) Good wave action?
2) Surge?
3) Swells?
4) Current?
5) Riptides?
6) Coral that stings?
7) Critters that sting?
8) Practice at shorediving techniques?
9) Cattleboats?

IMHO, there is more to diving than just cold water and low vis.

Scubamax

scubamax:

1) Good wave action?
2) Surge?
3) Swells?
4) Current?
5) Riptides?
6) Coral that stings?
7) Critters that sting?
8) Practice at shorediving techniques?
9) Cattleboats?

Scubamax

You forgot critters that can (and sometimes do) bite! :)

scubamax:

Of course I was speaking of your typical easy guideded resort dive....but you knew that didn't you? Yawn...I'm not biting...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom