Strongly considering solo diving - lets talk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott M:
Thats what I am doing......actually their bringing me.

Scott

Come out to Monterey...I'll certainly dive with you. I am fortunate to have a few friends that have many dives more than I that have dived with me, and I've learned much.

-hh:
If you end up face-down or have to extert significantly keep rolled back (such as a BP/W), this adversely affects your ability/capability for self-rescue and odds of survival. Since it stems from equipment, it is not an unavoidable risk.

BP/W setups do not do this IF you use them correctly.

They are problematic with an AL tank, but then again so is a jacket, because the tank is buoyant.

With a steel tank (or two) a BP/W setup will float you like a raft on your back with very little if any exertion. If you have a drysuit this is even more so, as you can crank down the valve and put some air in it; this places all your buoyancy ABOVE your mass that is negative (tanks and plate) which will reliably float you on your back.

Walter has a point here.

Most of the divers out there need to dive with a DM...

Sometimes even good buddies are not enough. In a new area I always go with an experienced hand such as DM or equivalent if I feel conditions are different enough. When my wife and I were first certified almost all of our first fifty dives were with DMs. I think it is unnecessarily derogatory to refer to this as

to dive with a DM holding their hand

If the water is calm and clear and I can easily swim to surface I will dive solo. I dive rather conservatively depth-wise in most cases and I dont like to impose my restrictions on others. On the other hand I enjoy diving with new divers. Its nice to be the expert once in a while and share in their enthusiasm. It helps me focus on the basics.

BE SAFE AND HAVE FUN

scubasean:
Come out to Monterey...I'll certainly dive with you. I am fortunate to have a few friends that have many dives more than I that have dived with me, and I've learned much.

Thanks for the invite. I may take you up on that someday. I have a wife that loves to travel, so with a few properly placed hints....

Scott

Genesis:
BP/W setups do not do this IF you use them correctly.

They are problematic with an AL tank, but then again so is a jacket, because the tank is buoyant.

Unfortunately, there are zero dive operations on Little Cayman and Cayman Brac that offer Steel tanks to dive with. And since Island Air charges $0.50 per pound of baggage over 55lbs, the odds of a visitor bringing one with them is also effectively zero.

The same applies at most of the World's other dive travel destinations because like it or not, the AL80 is the resort industry's standard tank. If you only ever dive locally and this doesn't apply to you, that's by your choice (and IMO, you need 2 Steels to really balance it out well).

But for anyone who's considering dive travel, the AL80 tank is an equipment factor that has to be considered when choosing the rest of their equipment to compliment it.

FWIW, carrying an UW camera can also have an influence on surface orientation too. And for solo diving, the camera has to be considered ditchable weight that gets dropped even before the weightbelt goes. Your life is worth more than a camera; if you can't afford to lose it, don't risk it.

-hh

Consider this! As a instructor when diving with a new class for their first O/W dives am I not really diving solo? Again a point of quality of instruction teaching self sufficiency. Treat diving as a solo responsibility but conducted as a social event. If the class is odd numbered and my wife isn't around I will make a three man buddy team with me. Because we don't want to pass a fault and set a wrong example. SDI as a agency has a solo c-card (? now how does one earn a solo card while being observed by another diver?) They,SDI, have some hard rules for the requirements for this card. 100 logged dives, use of "buddy bottle" (dbl's are cool), comfortable with top notch skills - things like this. I am certified to instruct it but you best have the right attitude and a good skill base. Some resorts and charters will not allow solo diving, others ask for a c-card, and then of course there are those who do neither.

"As a instructor when diving with a new class for their first O/W dives am I not really diving solo?"

You may be. I am not. If my students can't save me, they don't go to the ocean.

Walter:
"As a instructor when diving with a new class for their first O/W dives am I not really diving solo?"

You may be. I am not. If my students can't save me, they don't go to the ocean.

yeh I agree, but short of the training they receive and their common sense and experience, you are still some what relying on your own self sufficiency, you do not want to become a casualty, not that it can't happen

Scott M:
So, you were never a new diver? And you must have also been born with experience and skills? Some of are that not that lucky.

I think this statement speaks for itself, have a nice day.

Scott

We were all new fumbling/floundering divers once lets not forget that or think otherwise.

When it comes down to being buddied up with a new or a inexperienced diver on a vacation. I have no problem with this. You can be cert for 10 years and having only 8 dives under your belt, you're not experienced. In fact I prefer I be the one instead of my other travel companions. I'll introduce myself, talk to the diver Usually I can finish the dive with them and then link up with the other remaining divers and still have a great dive. After making a dive with a resort boat the DM's usually ask me to do this buddy thing anyway so I make the best of it and try to really let the buddy have a great experience, From that I enjoy the dive especially when there is something new they (or Me ) see for the first. Just like a kid at Christmas (BY THE WAY MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!)

GDI:
We were all new fumbling/floundering divers once lets not forget that or think otherwise.

When it comes down to being buddied up with a new or a inexperienced diver on a vacation. I have no problem with this. You can be cert for 10 years and having only 8 dives under your belt, you're not experienced. In fact I prefer I be the one instead of my other travel companions. I'll introduce myself, talk to the diver Usually I can finish the dive with them and then link up with the other remaining divers and still have a great dive. After making a dive with a resort boat the DM's usually ask me to do this buddy thing anyway so I make the best of it and try to really let the buddy have a great experience, From that I enjoy the dive especially when there is something new they (or Me ) see for the first. Just like a kid at Christmas (BY THE WAY MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!)
Do I know you??? :) You sound just like one of my dive friends. He has the same attitude. From listening to him I'm sure he gets more of a charge out of helping than he does diving anymore. Of course it helps that he has that calming personality that is so infectious.

Merry Christmas

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom