Strobes for the Socorros?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thebrain

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to nail down an equipment package for a trip to the Socorro Islands.
I currently have a Nikon 1 J4, which is a phenomenal housing around a decent camera (with excellent AF), with a terrible 1/60th flash sync.

My question is that it seems likely that most encounters with the big pelagics (whale sharks, giant mantas, smaller sharks, etc) at the Socorros will be 5+ ft away, so should I even get all worked up about A: getting something like twin YS-D2's and/or B: getting a camera with a better flash sync. Would strobes even be of use in this type of environment?

We did a December trip (ScubaBoard Invasion discount win). Most of our dives were 70-90' as I recall with not many at <40' so ambient light was limited. Weather was also overcast most days. 1 far off whale shark along with shy hammerheads but plenty of close encounters with the mantas, to the point where I had to back away to get the shot. I left the wide angle topside most of the dives but yes, you definitely will want strobes as there's lots of stuff that will benefit from additional light.

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to nail down an equipment package for a trip to the Socorro Islands.
I currently have a Nikon 1 J4, which is a phenomenal housing around a decent camera (with excellent AF), with a terrible 1/60th flash sync.

My question is that it seems likely that most encounters with the big pelagics (whale sharks, giant mantas, smaller sharks, etc) at the Socorros will be 5+ ft away, so should I even get all worked up about A: getting something like twin YS-D2's and/or B: getting a camera with a better flash sync. Would strobes even be of use in this type of environment?

When you go to Socorro, expect to get up close and personal with the mantas and dolphins. It's a little tougher to get close to the hammerheads, but every once in awhile you get lucky!
Which boat are you going with?

You spend a lot of time with Manta's up close and personal in Socorro. Mantas are not zipping around but slow and graceful. A shutter of 1/60s is likely just fine most of the time.

And YES, you definitely want to be using strobes. It was not clear from your post if you currently have strobes or not...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom