Strobe vs Video light for TG-5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Yeah, yeah I know. I don’t need any new freaking cameras or lights but Eric has the uw video covered I am getting the macrobug again. I have a Cannon G 12 but looking at the TG-5. Either way I need tray and lights. Any reason I shouldn’t get the cheaper video light x 2 option instead of two strobe? That way I have the option of using it with my gopro as well.

Interesting video but they seem to be missing one important point in their recommendations, the TG-5 lens has two aperture settings plus a 3 stop ND filter and it will happily bring that ND filter into use in P mode. from an imaging resource review: "offering settings of f/2, f/2.8 and f/8 at full wide angle, and f/4.9, f/6.3 and f/18 at full telephoto." ( Olympus TG-5 Review - Optics ). I would set it at f2.8 (wide) or f6.3 (tele) in Av mode. If you allow the ND filter to cut in you are just wasting light and pushing the ISO higher than it needs to be, and they showed it sitting at f9 and other apertures.

regarding light vs strobe, the strobe has way more light available and depending on which light you use it may be softer better light.

As someone who has just used both on a dive trip. Strobes are trickier to work with but have much more dramatic/professional looking photos. They are also bigger/clunkier which can get in the way of getting a macro shot without disturbing other life/environment. A video light on a loc-line flex arm can get the job done if you are looking for a simplistic setup without fussing over settings and light positioning. The problem that I found with a constant on video light is that it will definitely scare off some wildlife as you try to get in close for a shot.

I ended up oedering two Sola video lights from Backscatter and mounting my G11 on my BTS tray. I am going to try and secure the Gopro to the camera case and give it all a try on my February trip to Cozumel. If pleased with this I will probably eventually get the TG-5 with a Gopro shoe mount.

And if I really get crazy or win the lottery, add a strobe in the coming years.

I ended up oedering two Sola video lights from Backscatter and mounting my G11 on my BTS tray. I am going to try and secure the Gopro to the camera case and give it all a try on my February trip to Cozumel. If pleased with this I will probably eventually get the TG-5 with a Gopro shoe mount.

And if I really get crazy or win the lottery, add a strobe in the coming years.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with SOLA video lights! If you end up going with a strobe, they make a perfectly good night dive light!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom