Strobe setup for PT-10 Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know anything about the Nikonos strobe. Can it be trigger by an internal flash via optic fiber cable?
One choice, it might be a little more expensive than buying a new strobe but not by much, get a C5050 with PT 015 housing which will run you about $700. With the C5050, you can disable the preflash and use the internal flash as a trigger for your slave strobe. This way, you will have a strobe and a better camera as well. Just a thought...

I am one of those people who still doesn't have a strobe but watch all this info sharing as I contemplate one.
Jim, get a strobe (or two) - you'll love it! From all the photos you post, the amount of diving you do and your wonderful location (jealous) you'd be crazy not to :D !
The good thing is that there are enough strobe choices on the market to suit every persons needs.
The Z220 is a very attractive package and was my first choice when I was looking for a strobe 1 year ago (has it been that long already :rolleyes: ?) . Powerful, wide coverage, fast, uses AA batteries - all packed into a small size. The fibre optic mount is also well thought of. If only they'd put the same intelligence into the aiming light and laser. Another thing to consider is that the Z220 is not pre-flash aware, like the D-180 is, so if you have a camera like the C4040 you will not be able to use the full range of manual settings when slaving off the camera's flash.
On the DS-125 the modelling light is built-in and powerful enough to be used as a torch on a night dive. The other is that the manual controller can be mounted right next to your housing - 2 reasons I will not swap my 2 (big and heavy) DS-125s for any other currently on the market.
FWIW the word is that Ike has decoded the TTL sequence of the current Oly cameras so we should be looking at a hard-wired TTL solution soon.

Your right ReyeR, I should have a strobe with all the diving I do. I e mailed Marine Camera Distributors to confirm some of my confusion with the Inon Z220 and Z220S. For sure the laser and focus light will not work with the Oly's and other point and shoot cameras with the Z220. It's strictly TTL. They suggested the D180 and said it had plenty of light. If I needed more then get two D180's. Geesh, these salepeople think I am made of money on my "pinchy" retirement pension.
Dee, I didn't want to have to ad a focus light as you suggested if I don't have too. I love the built in one on the D180 that shuts off with the click of the shutter. My thought process is to get the brightest strobe for the buck as that is what a strobe is for.
Why the heck couldn't Inon make the Z220 work like the D180 as far as the focus light goes with point and shoot cameras. Guess I will have to give up the focus light and get the Z220S or take a chance on the D180 putting out enough light just to have the focus light.
:rolleyes:

yeah, that auto sut off thing is a sweet thing.

Do you consistantly use a wide angle lens? If not, and remembering Jeff's strobe tests, wouldn't the D-180 be plenty of power? Just 'how much' more powerful is the Z220s? Is it enough to give up the focusing light which is awfully handy!

Dang...decisions, decisions!

See now Dee, you have me leaning towards the D180 again. I never take wide angle shots cause I don't have a wide angle lens :D
THIS is sure a sweet setup for the PT-010
=-)

See, my thinking is you don't need the extra power, however much it is, for extra wide angle coverage. And I've never seen any strength strobe that is going to be able to optimally light anything past 3-4ft. The D-180, my YS-90DX. etc. do that very well. And alot of your stuff is macro, easily covered with the D-180. Plus I think the focus light is one of those bells and whistles that would tip the scales in favor of the D-180.

I've been reading up and right now I would be extremely happy with a D-180 as an only strobe.

I e mailed Yuzo in Japan for some prices with shipping for the D180 and some required accessories. The D180 is currently out of stock. Here are his prices:

INON D-180 strobe 44,800yen
INON optical cable kit 8,360yen
FISHEYE support tray with arm 11,900yen
INON strobe attachment screw 1,280yen
shipping cost to Hawaii, 3,700yen

My online currency converter tells me that equals about $648.00
:shades:

That's a good price for strobe, cable, tray and arm. The strobe attachment screw is the connection to mount the strobe to the arm? I keep going back to the picture you posted of the D-180 mounted to the PT-10...it would sure look good on the PT-15 too!

My only reservation is I do use a 20mm wide angle lens and I really don't want to go to dual strobes. The 'ones who know these things' tell me that no single strobe can cover a WA lens but my YS90 has done a decent job of it. And IIRC the D-180 has the same degree of coverage. So even if you add a WA lens later, you should still be basically covered.

Now I just have to justify another strobe..wonder if I can convince Beast to start using one??? :rolleyes: :eek:ut:

Just 'how much' more powerful is the Z220s?

Specs on paper:
Inon D180
GN 18(air, ISO 100, meters)
Angle of coverage: 100°

Inon Z220(s)
GN 22(air, ISO 100, meters)

Ikelite DS125
GN 20(air, ISO 100, meters)

Gilligan, another thing to remember is that the Z220 isn't pre-flash aware. If I remember correctly you don't have a C5050 so you can't turn the pre-flash off. This is from the manual:
When using the Z-220 as a slave strobe with digital cameras using their internal strobe to 'pre-flash' the subject in order to calculate exposure, it is only possible to use the Z-220 Mode Switch exposure output positions from –2 through –5. This is because the Z-220 will fire twice, once when triggered by the camera’s pre-flash, and once again by the camera’s main flash. The Z-220 will not have time to fully recharge after the pre-flash, and will only be able to recharge enough to consistently give the –2 through –5 output.

Back
Top Bottom