Strobe problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That addy should work better, but ok...

Thanks again Don. I got Karl's # with me, and I'll try calling him later this AM.

This strobe problem has got to get resolved, some how. Have been struggling with this, and giving up periodically since the DC500 first became available. Bought it, originally for a trip to Belize, and when strobe failed to perform I was disappointed but, blamed myself. After reading back threw the manual, and testing the system I realized that something not working correctly

When SeaLife failed to solve the problem with an upgrade, after I returned it to them following the Belize trip I just got discouraged and gave up on it for a while. The longer, though that I can't use the strobe system, the reason I purchased the DC500 in the first place, the angrier I have become.

Now that I am playing with Photoshop, and wish to be working more with the cameras, I have decided that this issue has to get resolved.

I had the battery compartment and the link cable replaced in mine and the strobes still don't fire in the water. I even bought a 2nd strobe and it happens with that one too. I feel your frustration and I am about to send the camera and the strobes back to Sea Life and say you can have it...It does not work!!! Good Luck getting yours fixed.

I had the battery compartment and the link cable replaced in mine and the strobes still don't fire in the water. I even bought a 2nd strobe and it happens with that one too. I feel your frustration and I am about to send the camera and the strobes back to Sea Life and say you can have it...It does not work!!! Good Luck getting yours fixed.

In a way it helps to know that I am not the only one this has been happening to. Let us know how your problem(s) are resolved, and good luck yourself! Jim

You can send it to me. :eyebrow:

Is it a DC500 with a SL960 & Flashlink? I know that you're new here and don't know me, and - I'm certainly no one special, but if I was a theif - it'd be well known. I'm not. I may be obnoxious at times, but excessively honest.

I'm also no expert here; indeed - I've made virtually all of the mistakes I bet. :silly: But then if I can make it work, then anyone should; or - if I have problems, at least I have a working set to switch out parts and maybe enough experience with these to offer some insight.

I'd want to take it 80 ft down tho, something I don't get to do often, but I need to do sometime soon. My home bud hasn't dived since August, and I goofed up a lot on my March trip, so I want to get us both in at Santa Rosa NM soon.

You need to insure it all yourself tho. I suggest State Farm Personal Articles Policy/Inland Marine: Personal articles cheap, dependable, no deductible. Then if I lose it, break it, flood it, steal it, etc - you get your money back.

All this offered - it'd be better to get someone local who has one to dive it with you along. If you can't find any better help tho, let me know...?

Wreckgirl, although I do not know Don personally, I can vouch for him as a knowledgeable adviser on camera stuff, from help and advice he has offered me, a struggling rank amateur here on SB. He has never steered me wrong, yet.:D Between him, Herman, ScubaSteve and several others I hate to leave out, all camera buffs posting here on SB, I have been given a lot of very helpful advice and assistance with my camera struggles!

If Sealife can't resolve your issues satisfactorily, then insuring it and letting someone like Don who has already struggled with these camera set ups before, play with it to see what he learns, sounds like a better option than giving up.

Thought that I should do an update.

SeaLife decided to replace my strobe and flash link, even they could find nothing wrong with my originals when I returned them for testing. The replacements arrived on Monday, and I took the system with me to Dutch Springs yesterday for the DUI Dog Days demo day. Didn't have a lot of time to shoot pics, as I've never dived dry and figured the camera would add too much to my task load.
Did get a chance to shoot a couple of pictures on my second dive, and the system seems to be working for the first time since I purchased it! Huuray! Real tests will come, but this first attempt was very promising!
I must say thank you to SeaLife and SeaLifeJoe and the girl in service for working with me!

IMG_0013_Medium_.JPG

IMG_0018_Medium_.JPG

Looks like it worked well. How many test fires did you do? Sealife is wonderful about customer service, but it's unfortunate that they couldn't find the problem. I guess Wreckgirl sought other assistance?

Are those Zebra mussels? You must have been in close as you didn't zoom did you? Hehe how do you disinfect gear when you leave there to avoid spreading those?

You know how to read Exif? I can't much of it, but some...

ImageDescription - DIGITAL IMAGE
Make - SeaLife
Model - DC500
Orientation - Top left
XResolution - 314
YResolution - 314
ResolutionUnit - Inch
Software - 1.12PIE
DateTime - 2009:05:16 14:37:24
YCbCrPositioning - Co-Sited
ExifOffset - 616
CustomRendered - Normal process
ExposureMode - Auto
White Balance - Auto
DigitalZoomRatio - 1.00 x
SceneCaptureType - Standard
GainControl - Low gain up
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal
ExposureTime - 1/97.0 seconds
FNumber - 2.80
ExposureProgram - Creative program
ISOSpeedRatings - 50
ExifVersion - 0220
DateTimeOriginal - 2009:05:16 14:37:24
DateTimeDigitized - 2009:05:16 14:37:24
ComponentsConfiguration - YCbCr
ExposureBiasValue - 0.00
MaxApertureValue - F 3.14
MeteringMode - Center weighted average
LightSource - Flash
Flash - Flash fired, Compulsory flash mode
FocalLength - 5.40 mm
UserComment -
FlashPixVersion - 0100
ColorSpace - sRGB
ExifImageWidth - 800 <after your reduced it I suppose?
ExifImageHeight - 600 <after your reduced it I suppose?
FileSource - Other

Thumbnail: -
Compression - 6 (JPG)
XResolution - 72
YResolution - 72
ResolutionUnit - Inch
JpegIFOffset - 1162
JpegIFByteCount - 5623​

All that from a picture? You are light years ahead on me Don. Someday you'll have to tell me how you do that, and then tell me what it all means!:D
Yes, I "resized" the pics to medium, which is all I did, as I haven't had much time to play with the PS.
Even sized to medium I find SB Photo doesn't like me downloading more than 2 at a time!:shakehead:
At least now I have a camera/strobe that I can work with, so I can begin to experiment a bit. You have been a big help Don, and I hope you don't mind me occasionally trying to pick your brain more, as I learn a bit and know what questions I need to ask!
Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom