Strobe problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think he's having a problem with the strobe not firing S999, not the pics, but then your test could also ID a failure point...?

My understanding is that the strobes are not firing underwater but work OK on land... my theory is to see at what depth (if any) they stop working... as we descend, the light is cut by the water so a non-functional strobe (or an underperforming one) will show deterioration by depth.

I had a similar problem with the strobe and it turned out to be a problem with the battery holder. The "pot" that adjusted the strobe power would push against the top of the battery holder when deeper than about 20 feet and cause it to shift and not make contact with the strips underneath. Try taking the top off the battery holder and holding the batteries in place with a piece of tape. If that solves the problem, you will need a new battery holder, with a slightly shorter top. SeaLife provided me with one and it solved the problem - missfires are a thing of the past.

You might check to see if you can wiggle the battery holder with the back open and if there is a position where it does not fire using "test" mode. If it does not fire, there is a good chance that the battery holder is the problem.

Am willing to experiment, but will have to make an effort to find a pool, as all my training work (pool or open water) is @3hr drive form home.
Yes, Don as you say the camera itself, using the on board flash seems to be working ok, on land, at depths to 100', which is max depth it's been to. Strobe has no failures above water, but while I have preformed none of Sabbath's gradual depth testing, it has failed to flash in sync with the camera at any depth I have tried, say @30-35' to 65-70'. Sea Life replace the pick up for the flash link couple years back, in an upgrade, but that did not solve the problem like we all expected.
Have even tried underwater to double check pick up, to ensure the alignment of link under rubber boot is correct on the pick up on strobe head itself. Also have tried to de select and then re select remote flash command setting, etc, while diving, to see if that got results. Nada.
SealifeJoe in a PM suggested a possible crack in flash link itself, but no test suggestion for that. That was why I added the extra step to test/update #19, and aimed the flash of the camera at the end of the link. To see if it triggered the strobe in sync, which it did.

I had a similar problem with the strobe and it turned out to be a problem with the battery holder. The "pot" that adjusted the strobe power would push against the top of the battery holder when deeper than about 20 feet and cause it to shift and not make contact with the strips underneath. Try taking the top off the battery holder and holding the batteries in place with a piece of tape. If that solves the problem, you will need a new battery holder, with a slightly shorter top. SeaLife provided me with one and it solved the problem - missfires are a thing of the past.

You might check to see if you can wiggle the battery holder with the back open and if there is a position where it does not fire using "test" mode. If it does not fire, there is a good chance that the battery holder is the problem.

Thanks TN. Just read your suggestions and have now tried several ways to put pressure on the battery holder, both open and wiggling, and closed and squeezing cover down hard, as if at depth (like testing dive light for contact). At no time could I get strobe to fail when pushed to "test".
The strobe that came with the DC500 Propack does not have the power adjustment control you mention or that is shown on their web site, so it might be an older modal?

Am willing to experiment, but will have to make an effort to find a pool, as all my training work (pool or open water) is @3hr drive form home.

Well... you could always go for a ride in a hyperbaric chamber :)

My local pool public pool lets me test gear during "non-peak" hours, yours probably would let you do that too if you asked nice :)

Well... you could always go for a ride in a hyperbaric chamber :)

My local pool public pool lets me test gear during "non-peak" hours, yours probably would let you do that too if you asked nice :)

Have to ask around. I think the college is probably the only school in the area with a pool.

Area is kind of remote and locals voted down a pool when they built their new HS several years back. I will check with the college,though. I hadn't ever considered asking them, thanks.

Gypsyjim,

You can send the whole system to us for us to evaluate the entire set up. All you have to do is call our service dept, 856 866-9191, and get an RMA # to return it. Since you are close to our offices the downtime should be limited.

Joe

Gypsyjim,

You can send the whole system to us for us to evaluate the entire set up. All you have to do is call our service dept, 856 866-9191, and get an RMA # to return it. Since you are close to our offices the downtime should be limited.

Joe

Thank you, Joe. I tried emailing the service dept 2 times, starting last Monday, but so far have gotten no response from them. I PM'd you a bit earlier tonight, and sent you the contact info, to get a return authorization. This is a nice camera, but it has been extremely frustrating, not being able to get the strobe to function. The strobe Pro kit was the main reason I was upgrading from my old DC100 to the DC500 when it came out.

Again. thanks, Jim

Call Karl at 800-257-7742 or email him at karl@pioneer-research.com and explain that you have tried the other email addy. Nice fellow. :thumb:

Hope it was okay to give that info here...? :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom