Strobe options for A620?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwflyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
Strobes? (blink...) :confused:

I have athe Canon A620 and the Canon WP-DC90 case. The case is new, and I will be taking it on a dive trip in 2 weeks, my first experiments with UW photos.

I thought the only strobe I could use with this camera/case was the camera's built-in flash (which sounds somewhat marginal). But it sounds like someone upthread has a strobe with the same camera/case combo.

So what are my options for strobes?

I'm not looking to spend a fortune (or more than the camera cost) but if there was something reasonably-priced available that would make a noticable improvement in picture quality, I'd consider it.

Thanks!

Hey Harry,

Which Sea Life strobe? And do you like it? Could you post some pics here or give us a link?

I have the A620 too and am planning to get a strobe before my Nov. trip to Roatan. I was eyeing the Sea and Sea Y110 - but that set up is approx. $700 - would love to get something a less $ if the quality is good and it is easy to use (i.e. dummy proof).

Let us know what you like about it - or don't like about it.

Thanks!

nwflyboy:
Strobes? (blink...) :confused:

I have athe Canon A620 and the Canon WP-DC90 case. The case is new, and I will be taking it on a dive trip in 2 weeks, my first experiments with UW photos.

I thought the only strobe I could use with this camera/case was the camera's built-in flash (which sounds somewhat marginal). But it sounds like someone upthread has a strobe with the same camera/case combo.

So what are my options for strobes?

I'm not looking to spend a fortune (or more than the camera cost) but if there was something reasonably-priced available that would make a noticable improvement in picture quality, I'd consider it.

Thanks!

Might help if you tell the folks what type of are you are predominently going to be taking pictures in. For example, if you are taking shots in clear blue ocean water than you might get away woth a reefmaster strobe, but if you are taking pictures in murky grren water (like in the Great Lakes) than you might want to go with a strnger strobe set up with arms long enough to avoid backscatter.

One other thing to consider is whether or not you are going to stick with UW photography. If so, get a strobe that can be cable fired as well as optically fired. You'll need the optical firing now (for your current camera and housing) but if you decied to go down the DSLR & housing road in the future, them you might want a strobe that will grow with you.

I went through the strobe evluation process a few months ago, and have narrowed down the choices to the Sea and Sea YS100, and the Inon Z240. BTW I'm curently using a Canon Powershot A80 with a WP-DC900 housing, INON grip/tray Fantasea strobe arms, and Inon wet lenses.:14:

All I need now is to make that final decision on the strobe, and hopefully I'll get a few years out of the rig before the DSLR addiction hits.:blinking:

You have a few options:

1) Learn the gear you already have. The 620's internal flash is perfectly fine as long as you work within the inherent limitations. It also has very good manual white balance abilities so learning to set this will allow you to shoot a wider range of good images than just the internal flash will allow.

2) Buy an el cheapo strobe and maybe get lucky. If you read around the traps you'll see that a great many who have gone this route have had problems and/or frustrations and ended up buying a more expensive strobe anyway :wink: Some people find these tiny, cheap units to be just the ticket for what they want, though, so they may be an option for you. These strobes are best for getting very close to your subject and shooting macro.

3) Realise that a good strobe will be three things:
a) more expensive than your camera and housing put together
b) able to move with you as you change systems for years and years so it should be a one time purchase for the foreseeable future
c) versatile with a good, broad coverage angle allowing you to shoot a wider range of subject sizes and compositions & various power settings to allow you to choose how much light you need

Photography is light. Without good light you can't produce good images and having a strobe that will allow you to do what you want to do would be worth it to me. If I was going to be too restricted, the money spent on a cheaper alternative would not be worth it to me in the first place - I'd rather save that dosh and wait til I felt comfortable buying something more robust. YMMV

My personal choice would be #3 followed by #1. #2 wouldn't even make my own list.

You can find details on various strobe brands and models in the Pink Link (Sticky) in my signature. Inon, Ikelite and Sea&Sea, to name three, all have good options. Check out the links to the suppliers, too...if you don't mind buying out of Japan Yuzo often has excellent prices on the Inon range.

I'm looking into similar options for an A640/WP-DC9 (I think that's the housing) which I am leaning towards buying. I'm currently looking at the Inon D2000 (or D2000S), Sea&Sea YS-110 and YS-27DX. They all have a variety of manual modes, all have the ability to be optically fired and all seem to have roughly the same output. All but the cheapest (YS-27 DX) have some sort of TTL ability and only the most expensive (YS-110) can be cable-fired.

I'm curious about the TTL. When used with a camera such as the A640 or OP's A620, is this helpful? Or is it similar to the cable firing option...may be nice to have some day if you upgrade cameras?

Alcina, I'm curious as to your opinion on whether any of these strobes meet your criteria for option 3 in your list?

jds

bureau13:
I'm looking into similar options for an A640/WP-DC9 (I think that's the housing) which I am leaning towards buying. I'm currently looking at the Inon D2000 (or D2000S), Sea&Sea YS-110 and YS-27DX. They all have a variety of manual modes, all have the ability to be optically fired and all seem to have roughly the same output. All but the cheapest (YS-27 DX) have some sort of TTL ability and only the most expensive (YS-110) can be cable-fired.

I did the same eval but for the A640 in an Ikelite housing and came to the same conclusion Inon D2000 (or maybe the D200S) of course I have yet to put this to the test. They seem like good strobes and I had a look at one on my recent dive trip and it was sweet.

Now if somebody will just give me the $$ I'll gladly do extensive in water testing and report.:D

K

I have the A620 in the Canon housing and was just given the YS-110 the other day for my birthday. I'm planning on getting it in the water this weekend. I'm very excited.

Here is a link to some photos taken in green water using the built in flash and diffuser. As you can see they're not bad (disregard the first two shots in the gallery because I let someone try the camera and they didn't understand about letting it focus first) but they could use more light and the backscatter is bad.

http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k310/Dragon2115/Diving/Clowntown%2014Jul2007/

This next link is to photos from the same camera but in blue water using a rented YS-25A (replaced by the YS-27). These cover both day and night shots for a better idea of what the camera is capable of using a fairly small flash and an amateur at the controls.

http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k310/Dragon2115/Diving/Bonaire%2010_2006/

kerryw:
I did the same eval but for the A640 in an Ikelite housing and came to the same conclusion Inon D2000 (or maybe the D200S) of course I have yet to put this to the test. They seem like good strobes and I had a look at one on my recent dive trip and it was sweet.

Now if somebody will just give me the $$ I'll gladly do extensive in water testing and report.:D

K

The D2000 and D2000S are good strobes, but neither have targeting/modeling lights, so they didn't make my short list. The strobes that made my short list are the YS-110 (or 220), and the Inon Z-240. The goos news is that both companies are ramping up newer models so there's a goos chance of a price drop, or even a gently used one hitting the market.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom