Strobe and rechargeable batteries??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemonkey33

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations on using rechargeable batteries in the SeaLife strobe? Is it a good idea or a bad idea. If so any recommendations for rechargeable batteries that work best with the strobe or will the standard Energizer ones will be fine?

Thanks

That's what I have always used, and they outlast the camera batteries. I get my batteries and chargers from a supplier popular with real photographers: Thomas Distributing. Energizer brand may be ok.

I use the energizer ones and they work well I just keep them charged up .

I definitely recommend the rechargeables. I have two Sealife strobes and a Nikon Speedlight. Given the cost of the higher end batteries, these plus a good charger will pay for themselves pretty quickly. I recommend the Maha Powerex charger and Powerex 2700 batteries. Both are available from Thomas or Amazon.

I definitely recommend the rechargeables. I have two Sealife strobes and a Nikon Speedlight. Given the cost of the higher end batteries, these plus a good charger will pay for themselves pretty quickly. I recommend the Maha Powerex charger and Powerex 2700 batteries. Both are available from Thomas or Amazon.
Yep, testing batteries never has worked for me so I replace my strobe batteries every day. Much easier with rechargeables. I use a Maha conditioning charger and Powerex batteries, and if you order from Thomas, get the battery cases! Then, always hide spare batteries in checked luggage traveling out of the US as foreign security agents are bad about grabbing them from carry-ons. NiMH as quite legal in checked.

Last edited:
I would only use the the newer NiMH technology cells that are low discharge. You can identify these because it says that they come pre-charged on the package. I know Duracell makes them. They keep their charge in-between uses.

I would only use the the newer NiMH technology cells that are low discharge. You can identify these because it says that they come pre-charged on the package. I know Duracell makes them. They keep their charge in-between uses.
Those are great, aren't they. I recharge my batteries daily on a dive trip, but for normal use - love low discharge. You don't get as much mAh, but still - 2100 mAh that stays charged for over a month is great. Thomas has those for $2 & up: AA Low Discharge Rechargeable Batteries including sanyo eneloop aa batteries, nimh batteries, maha imedion batteries, rechargeable batteries, lenmar batteries If you get enough batteries and a good, conditioning charger - it can add up to enough to get free shipping.

I know this is years down the line, but I've ordered 18650 3.7V 2600mAh Li-ion batteries for my Sealife strobe. I am pretty sure that they will do me much better than the standard 1.5V AA off the shelf batteries. Is there anyone reading this that use the same spec batteries or are there other suggestions that is tried and proven.

Thomas has those for $2 & up: AA Low Discharge Rechargeable Batteries including sanyo eneloop aa batteries, nimh batteries, maha imedion batteries, rechargeable batteries, lenmar batteries If you get enough batteries and a good, conditioning charger - it can add up to enough to get free shipping.
I'm sure the deals have changed since then, I didn't compare, but I did recently order a new charger and a 4 pack of AAs, and they now offer free shipping on all orders.
banana.gif

I know this is years down the line, but I've ordered 18650 3.7V 2600mAh Li-ion batteries for my Sealife strobe. I am pretty sure that they will do me much better than the standard 1.5V AA off the shelf batteries. Is there anyone reading this that use the same spec batteries or are there other suggestions that is tried and proven.
Wow! Expensive...!!

One of the benefits of using rechargeable NiMH batteries is that they remain at 1.5 volts even as their reserve power is depleted, or I think that is right. Why do you want 3.7 volt batteries? OK, I never did understand volts, amps, etc.
confused-smiley-013.gif

I honestly think that it's worth every sent. I use the larger 26650 battery for my flashlight and it keeps me al long time on a single charge. I think they've outlasted even your standard rechargeable batteries by a long shot. That is why I've gone he same route, at $20 a four pack I don't think it's too expensive.
The 3.7V is only indicating max discharge voltage at a given rate, will hold an even 1.5 or whatever the flash require constantly, V on demand if you want...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom