http://www.diveheart.org/

Stressed, bloody dolphins await slaughter in Japan's Taiji Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fair point, however I'm not here comparing the intelligence of dolphins to that of 'domesticated' farm animals, but highlighting the ignorance of man to think that we can simply draw a line between smart and simple minded animals and this somehow excuses us from the barbaric treatment we force these animals to be subjected to.
Don't get me wrong, I believe dolphins are as smart as the studies/evidence have shown, I just don't believe it's right that we can simply judge the Japanese as 'barbaric animals' while we are doing exactly the same thing they are doing. Just because an animal isn't 'smart' doesn't mean it can't feel pain and anguish.
-Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added February 4th, 2014 at 02:42 PM ----------

VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ksFlFuqeQVk
'How they slaughter cows, pigs and chickens'

This makes me think of a documentary I recently watched called "Earthlings" and it shows how harsh some animals are treated by individuals. Like all documentaries, it pushes a particular believe, but it still is a very hard and disturbing movie to watch. It gets the viewer to think about human/animal relations.

I would suggest that the lack of participation is probably due in no small part to the histrionics displayed here.

I am against this hunt. But I am not prepared to participate in threads like this except to say:

I will never align myself with anyone who says things like:

or who compares this hunt to the slaughter of the Holocaust.

You have no credibility with such statements and only serve to place yourself on the lunatic fringe. You do more damage to the fight to end this hunt than you do to help.

All IMHO of course, and YMMV.

Done and out.
And I would never align myself with a person who could sit back and watch a rape or murder, and feel it is not their responsibility to do anything about it.
I guess you should feel fortunate that you were not a Jew in Nazi Germany, or a dolphin in the Cove....hoping that there would be someone willing to stand up to the wrongs being perpetrated.

You might also consider that it is quite possible that you Want to be able to think my position is that of a lunatic, because that excuses YOU from having to do anything.
And don't kid yourself--you are not against the hunt--the truth is, you don't really care about it--it has no importance to you.

---------- Post added February 4th, 2014 at 09:04 AM ----------

Fair point, however I'm not here comparing the intelligence of dolphins to that of 'domesticated' farm animals, but highlighting the ignorance of man to think that we can simply draw a line between smart and simple minded animals and this somehow excuses us from the barbaric treatment we force these animals to be subjected to.
Don't get me wrong, I believe dolphins are as smart as the studies/evidence have shown, I just don't believe it's right that we can simply judge the Japanese as 'barbaric animals' while we are doing exactly the same thing they are doing. Just because an animal isn't 'smart' doesn't mean it can't feel pain and anguish.
-Mike

---------- Post added February 4th, 2014 at 02:42 PM ----------

VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ksFlFuqeQVk
'How they slaughter cows, pigs and chickens'

While I eat meat....and believe we evolved as omnivores that NEED both meat and plant foods if we want to be healthy ( I meet an awful lot of vegans who are extremely unhealthy) --I absolutely agree that there should be humane rules applied to the slaughtering of domestic animals for food. The documentary that showed the fear displayed by the pigs, when they realized what was happening, was enough to STOP me from eating pork or bacon.....Cows should be treated humanely, but the IQ is not much higher than that of a tomato :) Seriously, when you look into their eyes, you wonder how they even have enough brains to know that they need to eat grass.

So I do take the intelligence of an animal into account, in deciding if it is appropriate for it to be food. Mankind took dogs into the fold as pets that would help with campsite safety at night ( alert to wolves or whatever) and other issues...and because they were smarter than the animals we eat for food. There are many accounts of wild dolphins taking pity on humans in trouble in the water--and saving them.....while not reliable as a safety net, this is a behavior you could never get from a cow, a chicken, or a tomato.

And there is a very small segment of humans that would help a dolphin in distress---though most people are too self indulgent to be bothered by this, most do not care enough to desire to help. Most do not think it is THEIR RESPONSIBILITY.

Nothing new here....People are the same with other people in distress.

There are even divers that have said that -- should someone try to get air from them underwater, they would fight them for it....they would NOT help.

There are people that TRY to DO good.
There are people that TRY NOT to do anything.
There are people that are just fine doing what could easily be called Great Evil.

Most are the Sheep that TRY NOT to do anything.

Last edited:
How is the dolphin slaughter in japan and denmark any different to the digusting treatment, inhumane living conditions and horrible deaths that pigs, cows and chickens go through there entire lives while they are being specifically bred and raised for our consumption?
I'm not saying what is happening here isn't disgusting but I think we all need to have a look at the barbaric way we are treating animals a little closer to home before we start putting down other cultures and countries. A little bit hypocritical.
Cheers!!!
-Mike

I agree... Cows, pigs and chickens are treated inhumanely. There are no slaughter laws for chickens that I know of. Cows and pigs do know when they are being led to slaughter. And confinement is torture, although legal. There is also a lot of illegal abuse with food animals here in the states that does not get reported unfortunately. Empathy is not a food animal industry standard.

That being said, if we were to round up the cows, pigs and chickens and slaughter them the exact same way the dolphins are being slaughtered, there would be a never-ending firestorm over it like you've never seen and then most of the country would probably become vegetarians because of it. The video that I had watched a while ago was extremely graphic showing much of how they were hunted and then "processed". CNN's video does not come close to what is actually taking place.

Do we need to look closer to home before judging other cultures and countries? I wasn't judging a whole culture and country as much as I was judging those involved... Neither situation is right, but those hunters and the people/government sanctioning the dolphin hunt are still barbaric and inhumane no matter how we treat our cows, chickens and pigs.

Last edited:
I'm glad we have this post going. I was reminded of the slaughter while listening to the Howard Stern show last week. Since I can't travel to Japan and protest in person the next best thing for me was to donate money to an organization that supports the ethical treatment of dolphins. Personally, I donated money to Ric O'Barry (Home | Ric O'Barry's Dolphin Project). Several years ago I read his book "Behind the Dolphin Smile". It was by far the most moving book I have read. The level of intelligence these mammals have is incredible. How we allow aquariums contain these beautiful creatures is a travisty. Ric equates containing a dolphin in a tank to the same has having a human live in a house of mirrors. Because they use sonar as a means to see their surroundings it basically drives many of them insane.

So if we can't be there to help, we can at least support those who can with donations.

I would pay good money to see the machine gun spray killing the fisherman and more importantly the buyers of these beautiful creatures. Where there is demand there will be a supply.

We dive because we love the ocean and all that it has to offer. It is our responsibility as the "most intelligent" and technologically advanced creatures on the planet to protect the planet and not destroy it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom