http://www.diveheart.org/

Stressed, bloody dolphins await slaughter in Japan's Taiji Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think because this thread is in Good Causes, Petitions and Solicitations, it's not getting the mainstream viewing of most members here... sad.

Also, in rebuttal of their centuries old tradition:
"...Dr. Dick responded to Elsa stating that WAZA would not take action against the hunts: “As you know, in some Japanese communities these drives have been part of the culture for centuries.” This same false claim is now being made to the media by the Japanese government. “This claim of ‘Japanese tradition’ is nonsense,” stated Ric O’Barry, Director of Earth Island’s Dolphin Project. “The dolphin drive hunts, according to the town’s own written history, says a couple of drive hunts occurred in 1936 and 1944, but the current series of hunts only began in 1969.”

Ms. Hemmi has replied to Dr. Dick with an open letter stating that: "In fact, the history of dolphin hunting in Taiji is short. According to The History of Taiji, edited and published by Taiji town in 1979, the first recorded dolphin drive was in 1933, with subsequent hunts occurring in 1936 and 1944. It was not until 1969 that dolphin drives have been conducted on a large scale. The history of the dolphin drives spans not so-called 400 years, but a mere 45. Furthermore, in 1969, the main goal of the dolphin drive was to capture pilot whales as prized showpieces for the Taiji Whale Museum. In other words, the dolphin drive was purely for profit, having nothing to do with cultural history."...

---------- Post added January 31st, 2014 at 02:55 PM ----------

---------- Post added January 31st, 2014 at 01:21 AM ----------

What I do find sad is the lack of participation on this website, for sure.

So for all of us who found this thread, and are following it, how do we post it on a more main stream heading to get them to read this? I only found it because I was reading Today's Posts under Quick Links. I think the majority of members run through SB by discussions/category so they only read what they are ultimately interested in. I used to do that and would always pass over Good Causes, Petitions and Solicitations.

---------- Post added February 1st, 2014 at 09:00 AM ----------

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by shoredivr

---------- Post added January 31st, 2014 at 01:21 AM ----------

What I do find sad is the lack of participation on this website, for sure.

So for all of us who found this thread, and are following it, how do we post it on a more main stream heading to get them to read this? I only found it because I was reading Today's Posts under Quick Links. I think the majority of members run through SB by discussions/category so they only read what they are ultimately interested in. I used to do that and would always pass over Good Causes, Petitions and Solicitations.

I am thinking we should ask Netdoc to do this :)!!!

When I look at the number of SB members who have dolphins as their avatar pic, I wonder if they are protesting to the Japanese government?

When I look at the number of SB members who have dolphins as their avatar pic, I wonder if they are protesting to the Japanese government?

I think SB members are happy to make hundreds of posts defending the choice they made on what BC or fins to buy.....they want everyone to KNOW why their choice was the best one.....
But..... the idea of DEFENDING dolphins from murder is not relevant to them--they don't interact or know any dolphins...and there is this big--"If it's not about me, I don't care about it" thing....this could be the mantra for 95% of the people on this board..

All they need to do here, is to post several times...if a few hundred this week, decided to do that much, the thread would grow legs, and it might actually get 100,000 views in a few weeks...meaning enough people would be subscribed to the thread to reach a threshold for enough people to REALLY DO SOMETHING.

I think SB members are happy to make hundreds of posts defending the choice they made on what BC or fins to buy.....they want everyone to KNOW why their choice was the best one.....

LOL... And when someone disses their choice, they become indignant...

I did send a PM to NetDoc asking for help/suggestions to properly put this into a main stream discussion... haven't heard back.

---------- Post added February 3rd, 2014 at 05:40 PM ----------

But..... the idea of DEFENDING dolphins from murder is not relevant to them--they don't interact or know any dolphins...and there is this big--"If it's not about me, I don't care about it" thing....this could be the mantra for 95% of the people on this board..

I think they'd rather argue about whether a regulator is life support equipment...

How is the dolphin slaughter in japan and denmark any different to the digusting treatment, inhumane living conditions and horrible deaths that pigs, cows and chickens go through there entire lives while they are being specifically bred and raised for our consumption?
I'm not saying what is happening here isn't disgusting but I think we all need to have a look at the barbaric way we are treating animals a little closer to home before we start putting down other cultures and countries. A little bit hypocritical.
Cheers!!!
-Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[FONT=Open Sans, arial, helvetica]Ok so no specific figures for how much of the dolphins and whales are eaten (this is on reference to a post on the "This is Disgusting" thread. However some information on how many people eat dolphin meat in Japan, and just how toxic it is. Even if you think that it is ok to do drive hunts, why would you allow people to consume, and why would you promote the eating of such toxic meat? Japanese culture adheres to rules, here it seems that the Taiji Fisherman's Cooperative is deliberately not informing the Japanese public the meat is toxic. The Japanese government is not halting the sale and consumption of the meat, either. Insane.[/FONT]

[FONT=Open Sans, arial, helvetica]"The results of the tests were alarming. Every one tested higher (in one or more areas), than the provisional regulatory levels of mercury, methyl mercury and PCBs established by the Japanese government.[/FONT]
For example, dolphin meat from Shimoji in Tanabe City, Wakayama, tested 3.5 times higher than the maximum allowance level (MAL) for mercury, (1.4 T-Hg ppm over the allowed 0.4 ppm); 2.1 times higher than the MAL for methy mercury, (0.63 M-Hg ppm over the allowed 0.3 M-Hg ppm), and 1.64 times higher than the MAL for PCBs, (0.82 ppm over 0.5 ppm).
In one instance, meat taken from the tail of a pilot whale purchased from the supermarket of Taiji Fishing Cooperative, tested 18.3 times higher than the MAL for mercury and 8.66 times higher than the MAL for methyl mercury. Furthermore, blubber taken from the belly of a dolphin was high for PCBs, 19.2 times higher in fact, than the MAL.

Read more: Some people in Japan don't take mercury contamination seriously (Includes interview)"

How is the dolphin slaughter in japan and denmark any different to the digusting treatment, inhumane living conditions and horrible deaths that pigs, cows and chickens go through there entire lives while they are being specifically bred and raised for our consumption?
I'm not saying what is happening here isn't disgusting but I think we all need to have a look at the barbaric way we are treating animals a little closer to home before we start putting down other cultures and countries. A little bit hypocritical.
Cheers!!!
-Mike

While a pig may be smarter than a dog....it is not as smart as a human--not even close....However, dolphins are. Complex language, complex social systems, and many other intellectual strengths have been proven to exist in dolphins.
We evolved eating simple minded animals, and this included pigs and their precursors, as well as cows and chickens. Humans will always eat animals.....Animals will always eat animals--it is part of nature. There is predator, and there is prey...This is outside of the concept of Good and Evil.... The dolphins are far outside this relationship. Dolphins in our diet would be as morrally sick as cannibalism ....I would be very comfortable killing a fisherman attempting to slaughter dolphins. It would be an easy moral choice.

Fair point, however I'm not here comparing the intelligence of dolphins to that of 'domesticated' farm animals, but highlighting the ignorance of man to think that we can simply draw a line between smart and simple minded animals and this somehow excuses us from the barbaric treatment we force these animals to be subjected to.
Don't get me wrong, I believe dolphins are as smart as the studies/evidence have shown, I just don't believe it's right that we can simply judge the Japanese as 'barbaric animals' while we are doing exactly the same thing they are doing. Just because an animal isn't 'smart' doesn't mean it can't feel pain and anguish.
-Mike

---------- Post added February 4th, 2014 at 02:42 PM ----------

VIEWER DISCRETION IS ADVISED
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ksFlFuqeQVk
'How they slaughter cows, pigs and chickens'

I would suggest that the lack of participation is probably due in no small part to the histrionics displayed here.

I am against this hunt. But I am not prepared to participate in threads like this except to say:

I will never align myself with anyone who says things like:

I would be very comfortable killing a fisherman attempting to slaughter dolphins. It would be an easy moral choice.

The correct response would be to open up with machine guns and kill the fisherman doing this

or who compares this hunt to the slaughter of the Holocaust.

You have no credibility with such statements and only serve to place yourself on the lunatic fringe. You do more damage to the fight to end this hunt than you do to help.

All IMHO of course, and YMMV.

Done and out.

Back
Top Bottom