Streamlining Training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've yet to see anything convincing that demonstrates that "vacation tropical diving" is NOT the "backbone" of the "scuba industry" regardless of how you define it -- by $'s spent; by numbers of participants; by numbers of class takers; whatever.

Backbone, no ... soft underbelly, perhaps?:D

Having just spent the day talking to many, many divers at the Long Beach Scuba Show, most of the local divers I talked to were indeed vacation divers. However, SoCal has a huge and I really mean huge number of divers that spend their money and time right here.

But looking at the marketing, a large number of booths were focused on the vacation diver as was 95% of the gear being displayed.

Point? I'd say the vacation diver market is much larger than the soft underbelly and indeed rivals the backbone for support.

So using your plan a ow course should cost around $800.-$1,000..,. the public would not go for it and eventually diving will cost even more for the few participating in it.
How so? AOW, at least in PADI land where I am from, is a book with precious little information in it, and a handful of dives. Many, if not most people advise a new diver to take it right away, it makes sense to add those dives into OW, it wouldn't cost that much. Bouyancy better not cost any more, since it is rediculous that people teach new divers how to kneel on the bottom instead of, well, dive:idk: The information about ongassing and offgassing in the Nitrox course also should be included in the OW course, since, well, it is sort of important. If it costs money to teach people how to dive, well, it costs money. I know many instructors go over and above the minimum standards but the bad instructors don't have to, giving PADI a bad rap and creating threads like this one.

Walmart sells stuff cheap too, cheaper does not always equal better.
the card is to verifiy that the person has completed a course.How else can they prove it,say if a person wanted to rent a dry suit and cannot show a dry suit card?

By that logic I should not have been able to get a dive light, since I don't have a Night Diver card. Or get on a boat since I don't have a Boat Diver card. I also don't have a Fish ID or an Photographer card. I might need to give back my compass too:D

Kidding aside, I was told by a dive shop once the PIC form cost money, like $20 or something in order for PADI to issue a card for completing a course. Get rid of those administration fees and those specialty courses get a little cheaper.

... Point? I'd say the vacation diver market is much larger than the soft underbelly and indeed rivals the backbone for support.
OK ... so it's a really big soft underbelly.

OK ... so it's a really big soft underbelly.

... which is the inevitable result of a "fast food" diet ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Would you believe a 3 legged stool?
-Vacation diving
-Local recreational diving
-Commercial diving

Pete

Would you believe a 3 legged stool?
-Vacation diving
-Local recreational diving
-Commercial diving

Pete
Actually I wouldn't, neither would the commercial diving sector, and I'm not sure the average "local recreation diving instructor" should be (or wants to be) grouped with the average "vacation diving instructor."

Kidding aside, I was told by a dive shop once the PIC form cost money, like $20 or something in order for PADI to issue a card for completing a course. Get rid of those administration fees and those specialty courses get a little cheaper.

Ye gods, such heresy!

How do I then become a PADI Master Instructor? If I don't have those cards to count up, what you are talking about threatens the very fabric of the Universe.... :wink:

Please take with a large pinch of salt, there is rather a lot of facetiousness and self-mockery in my post - not intended to cause offence...

It's a good think that there is no PADI course to teach one how to put bait on a hook.:D

Ye gods, such heresy!

How do I then become a PADI Master Instructor? If I don't have those cards to count up, what you are talking about threatens the very fabric of the Universe.... :wink:

"If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom