Strangest place you have rinsed your dive gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter_C

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
We spent a week staying on the Big Island of Hawaii in a timeshare villa. They did not offer rinse tanks nor did we have a bath tub. The kitchen sink was too small, but the washing machine was just right. So the daily routine was to bring the gear in, rinse it in the washing machine, then put it in a plastic bag, to keep it from dripping on the carpet, on the way to setting it out on the patio to partially dry before the next day of diving.

Loud clanking noises were heard as our BP/W metal cam bands, harness d-rings, and steel plates were pushed into the metal washing machine. Shhhh...oh well, we were quit most of the time.

One of our favorite sites Point Lobos in Carmel California, has a nice garden hose setup for rinsing dive gear, and the boat/trailer or scooters.

At home I just use a cheap bin and dump it off the deck, after hanging dive gear off pre-installed hooks under the eves for the drysuits, and on our patio table and chairs for everything else.

So where have you rinsed your gear?

I don't think throwing your expensive dive gear in the washing machine was such a good idea...

Anyways, I've been in some hole-in-the-wall places, but none so much so that I couldn't use any conventional means to wash my gear, even my BCD. Shower heads work great, you know. And there was probably a Waterhose somewhere on the grounds of your property...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

+1 for the shower or hose. :confused:

I seriously doubt that Peter RAN the washing machine with the gear in it.

My bet is that simply filled it with water and then dipped his gear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I use a big horse water tank sometimes...

At home we wash the wetsuits/hoods/booties/gloves in the washing machine with a little detergent and a lot of baking soda, after every trip. Hang to dry outside. I worry far more about ruining the washing machine than the wetsuits!

We use a cooler filled with water to soak the regs/computers/etc. They dry on a towel on the tile floor inside.

Hose off the BCD's and tanks really good. Hang BCD's to dry.

In Maui we rinsed everything in the tub at the hotel. Hung wetsuits on the shower curtain rods. Everything else dried out the best it could on towels on the tile floor.

In Bonaire CPR had good rinse buckets and strong clotheslines.

I have used a hot tub with cold water in it at a resort in Mexico, also have used a large trash can (and washed my clothes in it when I lived in Honduras--then I found Ed with his laundrymat). Used the hose to rinse off gear when there was no option to soak and dunk. It all works.

I have used the washing machine too. Just fill the tub and push in the dial so it can't operate. Soak the gear then dunk it up and down and take it out, but have plenty of towels to catch the water because you can't let the water out of the washer without putting it on spin.

I think rinsing your gear in the washer was a clever idea. I wouldn't have thought of that. :) I've always had something, the shower, tub or a hose. Most places have a hose or dunk tank of some sort.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom