Strangest place you have rinsed your dive gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Soltari beat me to it. Yup, a horse trough. (Newly filled with fresh water, but it was still a horse trough.)

I recall the dive operator in Belize rinsing a six-pack worth of gear in a wheelbarrow full of water. I have to wonder if it was worth the bother; probably more saltwater in the gear than fresh water in the wheelbarrow.

Cenotes. Rinse while diving, can't beat that. Although in reality did a full rinse when returning back home.

I think the strangest place I've rinsed gear was in the tiny bathroom of a boutique hotel right off San Francisco's Union Square. (We had been diving in Monterey that day, and were coming up to SF for a conference.) I did wonder what the maid thought of full dive gear for two people, including dry suits, packed into that little room!

At home, I use a horse trough -- really. Rubbermaid makes them, and the 75 gallon one is perfect for two scooters.

I was in Guam, and was flying back to Hawaii early the next morning. When I came back to the hotel, I threw everything into the (very small) shower, and washed it off while I took a shower. Then I took it all outside and put it on the roof of the rental car. It was about 150 degrees :shocked2: outside, so it was all dry in about 3 hours. Made a huge mess in the bathroom, but at least my gear was clean.

Another one for the horse trough :) We did have to chase off a donkey who wanted to drink out of it too...

It's only strange because it's so unusual and convenient.

Twice a year my wife's employer is kind enough to send her to Monterey for a long weekend of meetings and events. They pay for the hotel, feed us each night and keep her busy all day so I can dive!

We stay at the Hotel Pacific. Their rooms come equipped with a shower which is on the other side of the bathroom from the full bathtub/shower combo.

Or, as I term it, there's a people washing station on one side and a gear washing station on the other.

If only other hotel rooms were so thoughtfully equipped.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

When I cleaned my last boat in the marina I would sometimes walk up to the restrooms in full gear, step into the shower and wash everything, removing gear as I shower. At Monastery Beach in Carmel, California there is only a small restroom available. The sink is not even large enough to put a mask in, so I tilt my mask until I fill up one side, then pour the water into my fin pockets. When they are full, I use that water to rinse the rest of the gear. It's very time-consuming, but beats having Monsterberries all over the trunk of the car.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom