strange reflection from camera in picture

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is indeed a reflection of the lens from the camera itselve.
It was indeed the first shot in cold water.
Thanks a lot for the explenation.
I've learned a new thing today.
:cool3:
Glad you asked and thanks to all who helped. I learned too.

Many cameras have "beauty" rings or lettering like "Canon Lens" etc on the front of the lens ring which will reflect in the port glass especially when shooting into the sun or strong lighting. They also often show up when shooting strobes. You must cover over these or paint them out--black-- or otherwise render them invisible. N

I only realized this could be an issue when my Inon wet lenses showed up with black stickers in the package, for the purpose of covering that ring. I'm going to wait until I see a problem before bothering. On my S90, it would be easier to just black out the white print with a Sharpie (kinda hate to do that -- only had the camera a week).

I only realized this could be an issue when my Inon wet lenses showed up with black stickers in the package, for the purpose of covering that ring. I'm going to wait until I see a problem before bothering. On my S90, it would be easier to just black out the white print with a Sharpie (kinda hate to do that -- only had the camera a week).
Don't. Wait and see if it's a problem. I just shoot for fun, delete the pics I don't like, keep the ones I do - but I've been carrying dive cameras for years and this is the first I've ever heard of this idea. Use moisture munchers, soak your camera before splashing, and you may never notice a problem.

I botched a large number of pics on my first Cenote dive by not pre-soaking or wrapping in a wet cloth, then once I got in the cooler water and started shooting, I was in such awe that I fired as soon as the strobe was ready again. Had moisture on the lens from entering, then kept over firing so much it got worse, but I didn't noticed until download - too busy with the dive and shooting.

The "Canon/Nikon/Oly etc Lens, F2.0" or silver rings on the lens bezel or other decoration on the surround reflecting on the port glass are not the result of moisture any more than your reflection in a mirror is. It is definitely an issue and especially with silver cameras. I have deleted many ruined photos where you can read the "Canon Lens" in the photo. It generally becomes a problem with some cameras when shooting into bright light or with strobes up close or if the strobe gets forward of the port. You usually don't notice until you have ruined a complete day of photos and only notice it when back to the computer to review the shots.

It is worse with wide angle lenses and is made worse yet by wet accessory lenses.

Thus far I have not had a problem with the S90 but I have had with the Canon A570 (silver) and with other cameras.

N

Sealife makes a free fix for this. It's a little sticker that you put around your camera's front. Call Sealife support and they will mail you one at no charge ( Sealife Part # SL18035 )

dc1000_lensreflec2.jpg

Sealife makes a free fix for this. It's a little sticker that you put around your camera's front. Call Sealife support and they will mail you one at no charge ( Sealife Part # SL18035 )
Love that word free. Just called to request a few. Helpful hints...
ph 800-257-7742

Option 2 for selection by department

Option 2 again for Tech support

Option 1 for Sealife

She called it an antiglare ring
Thanks for the info. Hadn't got the sharpie out yet...

Love that word free. Just called to request a few. Helpful hints...
ph 800-257-7742

Option 2 for selection by department

Option 2 again for Tech support

Option 1 for Sealife

She called it an antiglare ring
Thanks for the info. Hadn't got the sharpie out yet...

Called, ordered and due to ship tomorrow. Dive trip next weekend, so I'll see how well they stick to sharpie :D

Called, ordered and due to ship tomorrow. Dive trip next weekend, so I'll see how well they stick to sharpie :D
They'll stick better if the area is wiped with alcohol then allowed to dry well, I'd think.

dc1000_lensreflec2.jpg
That was the right part number, but they sent me 5 of the rubber like fittings that go inside the lens port. Guess I'll try again... :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom