strange reflection from camera in picture

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This pic? PICT0780.jpg :confused:

I think the op's asking about the faint whitish ring surrounding the fish. (if your :confused: points to where the reflection is. sorry if I'm wrong)

I can't be sure, but to me, it looks like the rim of the lens reflecting off the inner surface of the front glass.

Please tell us know your exact setup for this shot (strobe, wide angle lens, cold water, was this at the beginning of the dive, etc.)

If I were to guess (without knowing much about the shot itself) The water was significantly colder than the surface air, you may or may not have used a moister muncher and this was toward the beginning of the dive.

What you are seeing is where the camera focussed more on the camera housing glass than it did on your subject. This can happen if the camera housing lens gets slightly fogged in the water or the camera cannot attain focus on the subject. The ring you are seeing is the ring around your camera's lens reflecting off the glass of your underwater housing.

Turn on your SeaLife camera and look at the rim where the lens extends out from the camera... You will then be able to match the lettering on the camera to the ring on the picture

Many cameras have "beauty" rings or lettering like "Canon Lens" etc on the front of the lens ring which will reflect in the port glass especially when shooting into the sun or strong lighting. They also often show up when shooting strobes. You must cover over these or paint them out--black-- or otherwise render them invisible. N

Many cameras have "beauty" rings or lettering like "Canon Lens" etc on the front of the lens ring which will reflect in the port glass especially when shooting into the sun or strong lighting. They also often show up when shooting strobes. You must cover over these or paint them out--black-- or otherwise render them invisible. N
Very true, but that is not usually the case with a fitted SeaLife camera to it's housing. I have had it happen on a reflection from the wide angle lens, but only when taking a picture into a mirror that reflected back into my lens... Other than that, it happened to me once when I didn't have a MM in the housing and opened the housing in the humid air between dives... closed the housing and it happened on the next dive 1st shot.

Mine was more pronounced than this one and I could see the moisture on the lens.

Very true, but that is not usually the case with a fitted SeaLife camera to it's housing. I have had it happen on a reflection from the wide angle lens, but only when taking a picture into a mirror that reflected back into my lens... Other than that, it happened to me once when I didn't have a MM in the housing and opened the housing in the humid air between dives... closed the housing and it happened on the next dive 1st shot.

Mine was more pronounced than this one and I could see the moisture on the lens.

Yes, it looks like this example is more fogging of the port related.

N

Unfortunately that is exactly what it is. The exterior ring on the lens is a brushed aluminum and reflects against the wet mount wide angle lens. It does not show up with the housing alone (at least for me). $1600 for a camera set up and you have to take a black sharpie to the camera to eliminate it. :shakehead: Engineering </fail>

It is indeed a reflection of the lens from the camera itselve.
It was indeed the first shot in cold water.
Thanks a lot for the explenation.
I've learned a new thing today.
:cool3:

Black out the shiney silver ring around the lens and it disappears on most pics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom