Stranded diver rescued - Catalina Island, California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thankful to see the rescue before wind & rain showers moved in Friday evening; Diver walks to and loads into recovery litter under own power; understandably looks pale, cold & exhausted. Due to hypothermia & dehydration, I don't think he could have lasted (or remained conscious at best) one more night of exposure in developing wind & stormy conditions:

Stranded Diver off Catalina Island

Last edited:
A frequent story. Some are lucky. Some are not. He was lucky.

Its not the diving solo. It is not having anybody left on the boat that knows what they are doing. You hear of buddy divers losing their boat.

Got info that the diver was picked up around Salta Verde Point (red marker) on the backside (south end) of Catalina. For those who were advocating a swim to safety, it's about 11 miles to the NW to get to Cat Harbor and 11 miles to the east and then north (and then a little west) to get to Avalon. See map. Lesson to be learned: Seek closest point of safety out of the water (which is what he did).
Salta Verde Point, Catalina.jpg

- Ken

For those who were advocating a swim to safety
Looks like he was completely stuck. Google earth shows a road at the top of that cliff if I am looking at the right place 33.317065, -118.422344, but challenging to get up there - and then how often does anyone travel that road? I doubt he would have survived long on that beach with the weather mentioned above.

I advocate everyone carrying a PLB in the car, in their backpack hiking or boating, in a $100 canister diving. The $50 rebate ends this weekend - ACR or Ocean signal. For now, get one for less than $200 - good for 5 or 7 years of standy. I just read a story of a family stuck in the snow on the north side of the Grand Canyon last week, and another of a family stranded in the Gila forest - but then those stories pop up every week, some wit sad endings.

upload_2016-12-27_23-49-49.png

Why all ya'll CA guys posting here? Should be out trying to find a 38' salvage. I don't recall ever seeing a 38' foot boat of any kind that wasn't worth a pretty penny.

Scuba Gear $5000.
38' boat $100,000.

Anchor? F it, get a cheap one. $500. LOLz.

Who doesn't set 2 good anchors if they're going to abandon their boat or go to sleep?

There actually is a road that leads down to Salta Verde and it connects with the road to Avalon, although if this diver was not familiar with the road system on the island he could have gotten lost. However Middle Ranch (where you see the blue reservoir on Ken's map) is pretty close.

Am I the only one who reads this as "Standard Diver Rescued"? I am sure it would have been hard climbing the cliff in a brass helmet and lead shoes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom