Storing Tanks off season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jackie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Now I have a small collection of tanks-? At the moment they are all in the garage.
I have steel 100's, aluminum 80's and some ponies (maybe I need a stable)....

What is this "off season" you speak of?
Personaly I would leave them in the state they are in unless totally empty in which case I would fill them.
If they are full they are ready to go for next time.
If they only have 50bar in them then fill them up when the season starts again.
I dont believe the air will go bad if it was dry and filtered to begin with.

I second ItsBruce's comment but short of that just leave them in a full or 300+ PSI state so that moisture won’t get in. Then just put them somewhere they won’t be in the way.

This is assuming you don’t need to take them in for a VIP or hydro test. Since the air inside was clean and dry it will keep. It is good air right?

Off season for me is Dec till April. When I go to the Carribean, I don't take my tanks ! ...
I will be in the pool for classes, though. But its not like I am going to blow through a lot of air - my 100 should last for quite a while at 10ft !
I should have been more specific- can I keep them in my garage ? It does go below freezing.
Thank you for all your responses ! You guys are great.

Jackie:
Off season for me is Dec till April. When I go to the Carribean, I don't take my tanks ! ...
I will be in the pool for classes, though. But its not like I am going to blow through a lot of air - my 100 should last for quite a while at 10ft !
I should have been more specific- can I keep them in my garage ? It does go below freezing.
Thank you for all your responses ! You guys are great.

No problem with the freezing. Think Ice diving etc. The only thing I have noticed storing my collection is dust accumulation. I have small wood/metal shop in the garage as well so dust happens. I am starting to use din plugs to keep the valves clean these days though.

in_cavediver:
No problem with the freezing. Think Ice diving etc. The only thing I have noticed storing my collection is dust accumulation. I have small wood/metal shop in the garage as well so dust happens. I am starting to use din plugs to keep the valves clean these days though.

Avoid the plastic plugs, if you accidentally turn the gas on the plastic will shatter and slash up your hand. This has happened several times and will almost certainly mean stiches and possible permanent injury. The SS plugs are much safer. If you accidently turn the gas on you'll need a wrench to loosen the plug and vent the gas, but your hand will be safe.

Or just blow the sawdust out with a toot of gas.

rjack321:
Avoid the plastic plugs, if you accidentally turn the gas on the plastic will shatter and slash up your hand. This has happened several times and will almost certainly mean stiches and possible permanent injury. The SS plugs are much safer. If you accidently turn the gas on you'll need a wrench to loosen the plug and vent the gas, but your hand will be safe.

Or just blow the sawdust out with a toot of gas.

I am using plastic with the 1/16" vent hole drilled in the end. (and yes, I generally do just blow the dust out but since I have several o2 and deco bottles, I get a bit paranoid about 'fuel', hence the plugs)

TDS has a bunch of accident reports from these exact plugs. The little hole isn't big enough to really vent gas if the valve gets turned on.

What happens is:
1) you end up grabbing the valve with your palm facing the opening
2) the natural tendency is for your fingers to turn the gas on.
The plug then shatters into your palm.

SS plugs are a bit more expensive but way way safer.

in_cavediver:
I am using plastic with the 1/16" vent hole drilled in the end. (and yes, I generally do just blow the dust out but since I have several o2 and deco bottles, I get a bit paranoid about 'fuel', hence the plugs)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom