Storing steel tanks without valves on them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flymolo

Contributor
Reaction score
Should I be concerned about storing steel tanks without any valves on them for a few days?

Some backstory- I broke apart a set of steel doubles to have the tanks hydroed. I've got them back from hydro and the tanks were dried by the facility, however it's going to be a few days before I can tumble, o2 clean, vip and reassemble them. Just wondering how long I can leave them and if there's anything I can/should do to protect the insides of the tanks in the interim. I unfortunately don't have any plugs on hand.

If they are dried and you are going to tumble and O2 clean them anyway, I don't see how leaving them unsealed will be any kind of problem. You can tape the holes or put the valves in loosely if you want to keep out any dust.

I'd keep them inside (as dry a place as possible) out of as much humidity as possible. Other than that, what everyone else said.

I have tanks sitting without valves for years, it won't hurt them at all if they are dry.

Why not just screw those valves back in? If you’re going to tumble, clean, and inspect them later it hardly matters anyway.

I had a tank sitting outside under a roof for years with out a valve. When I went to put it back in service it looked just like the day I put it there.

Back
Top Bottom