Storing steel tanks in sub zero garage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dewpoint changes with pressure. I didn't do the calculations myself, but this site Dew point under pressure | Airpack, custom made oil and gas packages world wide lets you calculate it and indicates that air with an uncompressed dewpoint of -50 F (-45 C) has a dewpoint of 12 C at 200 bar. Do you think this is incorrect?

Great point. You are 100% right.

Like others said, this is the maximum. My compressor’s last test had a dew point of -74F. That calculates to be 15F at 230 bar. We get below 15F (not this year...). Hmm.............

Thank you for bringing this up!

I can say practically I’ve never had a problem: I’ve done this for 10 years in Michigan. My tanks were tumbled exactly once — after a hydro. Having said that: I’m dropping the pressure in my tanks! :) That’s way easier than dragging multiple sets of doubles down into the basement — and back *up* out of the basement...

Unheated garage that is attached to a house is usually above ambient temperature. For fun I have been noting the temp my car shows before and after leaving the garage. (I am now in NC but it gets cool)

I used to live in Minnesota and we had an unheated garage under the house, about half exposed. We would keep a bucket of minnows there all winter for ice fishing and it would never freeze.

The dew point calculation does not take into account the fact that Scuba compressors dry the air as it is being compressed. You need to get a VIP every year and any problems would be detected, but it will not be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom