Storing regs at my dive centre - any recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divemaster No.1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hi all,

Looking to build a nice, neat way to store our shop's regulators in the equipment room- any suggestions on the best way to do this? Pictures would be nice!

Hi all,

Looking to build a nice, neat way to store our shop's regulators in the equipment room- any suggestions on the best way to do this? Pictures would be nice!
You want ventilation, visibility and the ability to handle multiple regs at a time. This suggests something like wire baskets on racks.

But first think about your work flow. How do you handle the gear when you take it out for dives or training? For example, if you use those ventilated plastic crates (like milk crates in the US, but larger), then I'd also use the crates for storage and build shelving with wire shelves sized for those crates. It would get pretty annoying to have a system of individual reg storage that you are forced to take down, coil into a crate, repeat 7 times and and then do it all in reverse a few hours later.

I glad it helped. I've never worked in a dive shop, but I once managed a very small bullet casting factory that was housed in a 20'x40' (6mx12m) shop. We were able to essentially double production and make everyone more comfortable just by thinking through the workflow, tweaking a couple of processes, clearing some space by getting rid of a bunch of stuff that was no longer usable, and moving what was left to where it made the most sense. We didn't need to buy anything except some framing lumber and plywood to build a workbench in just the size I wanted. It was the most satisfying thing I did there.

You don't have to go full McDonald's tennis court on your process, but it really does help to think through what you actually need to do in your shop space and put stuff so there's a logical progression.

I like these hooks
F5161772-7E68-4BD4-8335-21F0BB16A6F7.jpeg

26387718-BA85-4D67-BF0B-8326F424AFE3.jpeg

my pictures always post sideways??
E42763A9-63A1-492B-A389-246506E44B3B.jpeg

Hanging hoses over a piece of ABS or PVC drain pipe in the 3-4"/76-100mm range works well. Glue a cap to short piece of pipe pipe, drill a hole in the center, and screw it to the wall with a long fastener — open end of pipe against the wall. The lip on the cap keeps the hose from sliding off and it looks decent.

You can also use a long piece of pipe suspended from the overhead to hang your entire rental fleet.

I always though these hanger were amazing for rental gear/shop. Keeps everything in one nice package and looks very professional.

If you have DIN regs they screw into the built in DIN cap in the center and if you have Yoke the clamp on to the little disc hanging below.

1647769189829.png

1647769210377.png

Individual hooks are nice for one or two but not for a whole slew of regs. For that get a storage rack which you can fix into the studs. I have several in my garage for tools but also use one for skis and ski poles.

In the shop, where I worked as a troubled "yoot," we had a few moveable garment racks, both for hanging regulators, strung through plastic hangers, and hosing wet suits -- a bit like the one pictured below . . .

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 11.52.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-20 at 11.52.58 AM.png
    48.9 KB · Views: 26

Back
Top Bottom