Storing equipment for long time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knfevg

Registered
Reaction score
Next year I wont be diving so I need to store my equipment for some long time. I have a full set including: BCD, regulator, 2 wet suits, fins, masks, boots, etc.
What is the best way to store it? Should I use some drying poweder (like magnezium)?

All you really need to do is to thoroughly dry everything and store where it's not too hot, because most of it is made from some kind or rubber and heat is unforgiving to it.

Put regs in something that will keep dust out but can breathe. Plastic bags tend not to let moisture out and, if closed, can allow mold to grow so use with caution. You can put your wet suits on hangers in your closet, if the hangers are "thick" enough to support the neoprene, or you can just fold them up. Masks should be put in a hard container so that they don't get crushed. If you've got the foot pocket inserts that came with your fins you should put them back in (or push in some crumpled newspaper), but it's not critical.

If you are ambitious you can unscrew the over pressure valve (OPV) on your BCD and flush with fresh water (you should do this routinely, anyway, to keep nastsy stuff from growing in there). Shake out as much water as you can and put it on a hanger for a week or so to dry, shaking it ever so often. Reassemble the OPV and store on a hanger or fold, or put the parts in a plastic bag and put in the BCD pocket until you are ready to go diving again.

If you are sure that everything is really dry you can put lots of your gear in the large plastic bins (with tops) that you can get anywhere (Home Depot, etc.). It's a great way to store gear and, if you buy the clear ones, you can see what's in each bin without having to open them. They're also great for moving a lot of gear quickly, like when your packing for a road trip to a dive site.

Your gear is pretty robust. Just use common sense in how you fold it, store it, etc., and it will last.

Bill

If space allows, I like to store gear in a climate controlled area (not the attic/garage) away from heat/ozone. Remove batteries from all items. Throughly clean/dry everything prior to storage to avoid mold. Use dedicated BC hangers to hang up wetsuits/BC's. I'm a big fan of those large clear plastic storage bins so I can see easily see the contents of each container and keep everything dust/bug free, and allow enough room so things like reg hoses have plenty of room so they're not crimped/folded too tightly.

Sell it! Or at least consider it. People who stop diving for an extended period of time usually don't resume, in my experience. In the meantime, equipment deteriorates, depreciates, and takes up space. Without knowing your particular circumstances it's impossible to say, but if you sell it now, invest the proceeds in Indonesian sovereign debt at 8.25% for eight years and come back to diving when your toddler goes off to sleep-away camp, think of the spiffy new dive gear you'll be able to buy! :wink:

Wetsuits probably do the worst in storage, but they're also probably the most difficult piece of your gear to sell used. I'd be worried about the bc bladder after long storage. Regulators are pretty bullet-proof if properly maintained. Yes, I'd remove the battery from the computer, which should do nicely if you don't mind not having the newest gadgets.

Last edited:
Vlad, I'm sotring it only as I will be relocating to France for 1 year and I'm not sure that I will dive there (altought in another topic I openned, people eplxained me that there is alot of diving in France too)....

Storing neoprene folded will cause creasing that remains forever which negates insulating properties prevents air circulation and looks like you store your suit folded. It is bad for zippers.

Storing a bc folded unless only flat like from the manufacturer is bad.

Taking things apart and storing them apart may result in parts loss or inability to correctly assemble which is worse.

If you store regs with hoses tightly wound, when you come to unwind them they will remain partially wound mostly in the wrong direction.

Take your stuff with you.

If you store it in any sore of enclosed area, maybe include one of those 'moisture traps' just to make sure it all stays dry and mould free...

Take what you need with you. Ya gotta love the idea of diving in the land of Jacques Cousteau, gonna hate yourself in the morning if you don't.

What you leave behind, heed the advice above.

Bob
---------------------------------
I may be old but I’m not dead yet.

You didn't mention tanks, but maybe that's in your "etc.". You definitely want to drain them down to minimal pressure, just enough to keep moisture out, and keep them upright, especially if they're steel - and if Nitrox, you might consider replacing with just some plain air.

There was a recent detailed thread about tank corrosion in stored tanks [-]that I can't seem to find just now[/-], but it seemed like just a little water in a tank could get really, really bad in just a few months, especially with steel, especially under pressure, and xtra especially with nitrox.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom