Storing cylinder on a balcony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And I don’t know :) maybe the repeated morning evening cycles could change the pressure if stored fill and could make me have to have inspections more often ?
They will. It has no effect on the tanks.

-40 or +40 are of some concern. At +40, you want to avoid filled tanks going to +80 in the sun. At -40, moisture freezing can deform things. Middle of the range is a non-concern.

And I don’t know :) maybe the repeated morning evening cycles could change the pressure if stored fill and could make me have to have inspections more often ?

I just don’t know this is why I am asking :)

Maybe if you lived in the desert, where it reaches 40C in the day and drops to 20C every night. Keep in mind how warm tanks quickly get when they're being filled (or left in a car on a summer day in Florida, for instance--something I try to avoid, but it happens). From there they go into the 20C water. Sure, the pressure drops. No problem, as far as I'm aware.

If this is a steel tank you might want to double check dew point for air inside a tank in winter. But otherwise it should be fine.
Yes, be aware of moisture condensation. The higher the pressure in the cylinder, the higher the temperature of the dew point where there will be condensation inside. Especially of concern for steel tanks. Your fill station probably removes most moisture when filling, but there can still be enough left to condense depending on extremes of temp & pressure.

Yes, be aware of moisture condensation.

Including the condensation under the plastic tarp. Depending on tempature and humidity, it can rain under the tarp, as well as holding humidity on the object you are trying to protect by wrapping in the tarp. I will use plastic tarp as a roof and make sure there is air circulation under them.

Bob

How secure is your patio/balcony? Thay could be stolen otherwise.

Security would be my first thought. If you live in an upper floor were no one can just walk off, it is still advertising of expensive stuff inside. Don't know where you live, layout of the place, or how good of a neighborhood it is. You may be fine, or you may be an idiot. Hopefully fine is the correct answer.

Sun exposure. I only worry about UV sun rot to the knobs and maybe fading of the paint.

Temperature, don't care

Moisture, I would be stepping up the valve caps. Metal O-ring sealed and installed as plugs and not dive shop fill indicators. No, it isn't getting into the tank, but it is still getting into the valves along with any dust, mold spores, and anything else in the air. Keep it clean and dry.

I'd be a mite concerned about moisture, so I'd rather make some kind of roof or tarp it could live under, than covering it up tightly.

If it isn't tightly covered and kept out of rain and sun, it'll have roughly the same conditions my tanks see when I store them in my garage. Which I do regularly.

Security would be my first thought. If you live in an upper floor were no one can just walk off, it is still advertising of expensive stuff inside.
Since when does dive gear count as "expensive stuff"?

Bulky, heavy, deteriorates with use and age, niche, seasonal, cheaply priced on the secondary market.

Even worse, it advertises there's a diver inside. Which means they spend all their money on useless dive gear and trips, instead of actually useful stuff such as jewelry, art or whiskey, like a normal person.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom