Storing cylinder on a balcony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueTrin

Scallops aficionado
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I live in a small flat would that be an issue if I leave a twinset on the balcony with some kind of plastic cover over/around it to protect from rain or the sun ?

What could possibly be the issue? Cylinders are designed to handle much harsher environments. As long as the valves are covered, you're good.

If it's Al cylinders with steel band, that could cause galvanic corrosion, so may be best to remove the band, given the notorious humidity of London.

I'm curious what possible issues you are imagining, if you plan to keep it covered with plastic. I have seen dive shops that keep rental twinsets on a covered patio, propped up against an exterior wall. The cover keeps the sun and rain off. If not sun and rain, what else could be a factor?

I'm curious what possible issues you are imagining, if you plan to keep it covered with plastic. I have seen dive shops that keep rental twinsets on a covered patio, propped up against an exterior wall. The cover keeps the sun and rain off. If not sun and rain, what else could be a factor?
The heat will change from 2 Celsius in winter to maybe 28 in summer.

Also even with a plastic cover, I think the sun will heat up the cover every morning. I was wondering if this will cause a risk.

Like you guys said, maybe they are just much more resilient than I think :)

I was thinking of this kind of plastic:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GDCI22Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_S4itDb1DXJ9X5

Buy a car. Leave the twinset in the boot. Better yet, buy a van.

Or, buy a rebreather, put it in the bedroom and sleep on the balcony.
I have a car but it’s not big enough to keep the twinset upright :)

The rebreather in the bedroom is ... tempting :p

The heat will change from 2 Celsius in winter to maybe 28 in summer.
And?

Especially since you're describing very mild weather, it's not like -40C in the winter and +30C in the summer. At -2, even moisture isn't a concern. But even serious weather is generally not a concern for tanks.

If this is a steel tank you might want to double check dew point for air inside a tank in winter. But otherwise it should be fine.

And I don’t know :) maybe the repeated morning evening cycles could change the pressure if stored fill and could make me have to have inspections more often ?

I just don’t know this is why I am asking :)

I have a car but it’s not big enough to keep the twinset upright :)

The rebreather in the bedroom is ... tempting :p

I have strapped my twinset into my back seat. Otherwise, flat in the cargo area.

My twinsets are in my living room, one propped against an overstuffed chair, the other against a wall. I have 10 tanks, of which 4 are doubled up. They live in my living room. Don’t leave them outside. They’re part of the family. They deserve to be inside. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom