Stopwatch recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClevelandDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking into a stopwatch/back up bottom timer and was interested in finding out what others are using. Are there any models out there that are favored by the DIR crowd? Also, the majority of my diving is in cold water (35-55 degrees) with either 5mil or drygloves, so easy operation of stopwatch buttons is crucial.

Thanks,

Mike

I like my Suunto D3.

Uwatec for me, but I've also liked the Timex Ironman... it's a great timer for the price, if time is all you want to know.

I use a Timex Ironman as a backup to my Uwatec bottom timer. It has worked fine for two years in every water temperature. The buttons are a bit small for fat-fingered gloves, but it's doable.

shark.byte.usa:
For a stopwatch/backup, you cant' go wrong with a cheap-o Timex or something similar from the local drugstore. I got an Armitron for about 15 bucks and it's still going strong a couple years later. When it dies I'll get a new one.

-Garrett

Even after pushing the buttons in UW?:confused:

ClevelandDiver:
I am looking into a stopwatch/back up bottom timer and was interested in finding out what others are using. Are there any models out there that are favored by the DIR crowd? Also, the majority of my diving is in cold water (35-55 degrees) with either 5mil or drygloves, so easy operation of stopwatch buttons is crucial.

Thanks,

Mike

Casio G shock 200m water resistant. These are bulletproof. Everything else will eventually flood. For bling if you want to spend more the SUUNTO D3 (the non dive computer one in case I have the name wrong) is nice. But, buttons are small and, although I own one, the quality of SUUNTO products has taken a nose dive in the last few years.

hoosier:
Even after pushing the buttons in UW?:confused:
Yep, I don't push a whole lot of buttons on it underwater except the big Indiglo button on night dives or if I forget to start the stopwatch before decent. The buttons are large, I wear thick kevlar gloves, and it's going strong after 2 years. It's 200m water resistant. It was like $15 at Walgreen's.

-Garrett

Suunto D3. The Timex Ironman or any other wristwatch variation has 3 problems:

(a) Doesn't fit over a drysuit

(b) With dry gloves it's harder to hit the right buttons than it is with the D3.

(c)there is no way I would be able to read the smaller numbers on a wristwatch. It's an age thing. The D3 is just at the limit of how small the digits can be without futzing around with bifocal add-ons to the mask.

Tempted by reports from many, I just can't bring myself to buy a Casio G-Shock. Is it just me or are these things the most butt ugly watches on the planet?

I settled for the Timex Ironman because it works fairly well and is cheap. I usually smash mine between tanks when loading and unloading the trailer, so cheap is the key word.

RTodd:
Casio G shock 200m water resistant. These are bulletproof. Everything else will eventually flood. For bling if you want to spend more the SUUNTO D3 (the non dive computer one in case I have the name wrong) is nice. But, buttons are small and, although I own one, the quality of SUUNTO products has taken a nose dive in the last few years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom