Stopwatch recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan Gibson:
Tempted by reports from many, I just can't bring myself to buy a Casio G-Shock. Is it just me or are these things the most butt ugly watches on the planet?

I settled for the Timex Ironman because it works fairly well and is cheap. I usually smash mine between tanks when loading and unloading the trailer, so cheap is the key word.

My wife uses a baby blue colored one. Maybe you could find one in pink that better matches the rest of your diving wardrobe Dan. :D But, I agree, they are particularly ugly. However, I trked to make several Timex work early in my diving career because they are cheaper. They all eventually flooded at depth due to having buttons pressed.

shark.byte.usa:
Probably not DIR (sorry didn't notice the forum) but I put mine around the corrugated & LP hoses on my inflator and it's right there when I decend which reminds me to start the stopwatch, it's routine now.

-Garrett

Back in my single tank days I used to do this too, but after I lost the second one I decided it wasn't a good idea.

You know, it might match my pink snorkel, jetfins and thong :wink:

The only problem my Ironman has (besides getting a serious beating) is the numbers eventually disappear when I press the indiglo button. That kind of sucks when you are in the dark. I don't think it has ever flooded, but then my depths probably don't come close to what you have seen.

When I was looking at the G-Shock yesterday, I couldn't really decide which one would be decent for diving. Some even have smaller digits than my Ironman. That is finally starting to become a problem for my eyes. Can you tell me what model number would work well for diving and still be relatively cheap and easy to read and use. Maybe the store just didn't have one with the features I was looking for and trying to determine which would be best on the offical website isn't very easy.

RTodd:
My wife uses a baby blue colored one. Maybe you could find one in pink that better matches the rest of your diving wardrobe Dan. :D But, I agree, they are particularly ugly. However, I trked to make several Timex work early in my diving career because they are cheaper. They all eventually flooded at depth due to having buttons pressed.

Uwatec and an Ironman for me. I did have to put a strap extender on the Ironman.

Dan Gibson:
You know, it might match my pink snorkel, jetfins and thong :wink:

The only problem my Ironman has (besides getting a serious beating) is the numbers eventually disappear when I press the indiglo button. That kind of sucks when you are in the dark. I don't think it has ever flooded, but then my depths probably don't come close to what you have seen.

When I was looking at the G-Shock yesterday, I couldn't really decide which one would be decent for diving. Some even have smaller digits than my Ironman. That is finally starting to become a problem for my eyes. Can you tell me what model number would work well for diving and still be relatively cheap and easy to read and use. Maybe the store just didn't have one with the features I was looking for and trying to determine which would be best on the offical website isn't very easy.

I don't wear it without a drysuit or wetsuit so looks aren't that important to me. I just get a 200m one from Walmart or online. I think my current one is about 10 years old. The number of models has proliferated so, as you pointed out, the trick is to look for one with the biggest digits. I think, but haven't shopped for these in quite a while, that the general button layout is the same on all of the models. I have a D3 too but those numbers are smaller since it tries to display so much information on the watch.

As for the Timex, my experiments with these were over 10 years ago. So, they may have changed. But, at the time they were prone to flooding. And, I don't know anyone that usese these watches at greater than recreational depths or very regularly that doesn't use a casio.

From what I see on the website it looks like this might do but I would probably have to switch out the strap.

http://www.casio.com/products/Timepiece/G-Shock/G3011F-1V/

There are cheaper models, but it seeems the numbers are small.

Anyone know if this model is worth the price?

RTodd:
I don't wear it without a drysuit or wetsuit so looks aren't that important to me. I just get a 200m one from Walmart or online. I think my current one is about 10 years old. The number of models has proliferated so, as you pointed out, the trick is to look for one with the biggest digits. I think, but haven't shopped for these in quite a while, that the general button layout is the same on all of the models. I have a D3 too but those numbers are smaller since it tries to display so much information on the watch.

As for the Timex, my experiments with these were over 10 years ago. So, they may have changed. But, at the time they were prone to flooding. And, I don't know anyone that usese these watches at greater than recreational depths or very regularly that doesn't use a casio.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom