Stop fogging!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fire5man

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Please Help me with this new mask I got. It is fogging so bad its making great dives no fun.

I have tooth pasted it, (may be not the right stuff?) I talked to my LDS and they said put dish cleaner in there and work it, Don't use tooth paste.

What should I to. I am tired of it.

Thanks

Couple of things:
1.) Keep cleaning your mask. When I get a new mask, I'll often spend a few hours, spread out over a period of time, scrubbing the lens.
2.) Use a Defog. Sea Gold and 500 PSI are both really good.

You can also use Sea Buff to clean it. I have had success with it. Although it will take hours worth of scrubbing as Paco had mentioned. good luck.

Sea Buff :thumbs_up: All the cleaning power but without that minty smell :D

You can also use Sea Buff to clean it. I have had success with it. Although it will take hours worth of scrubbing as Paco had mentioned. good luck.

This works, I have done this with every mask I have owned and trust me I am a furnace. If there was an Olympic competition for mask fogging I would be the Michael Phelps.

If the mask is glass, turn it so the inside glass is facing down, take a lighter and slowly burn the glass, you can not really over do it because the flame will run out of oxygen after a few moments, keep the flame moving and do not let it sit near the skirt, do this until the glass carbons, whipe clean with a soft rag and run it through your dishwasher as hot as it will go. When it is done you can test it by giving it one good breath per lens, if it fogs at all it is going to fog underwater. Repeat the process until it does not fog with one breath.

Regards

KRAKEN SPIT . . .

. . . sometimes known as Johnson & Johnson's "No More Tears" baby shampoo.

Full strength, 2 drops on each lens, smeared about thoroughly and then lightly rinsed.

No more fog and no more tears.

And it costs less than $3 for a 20 oz. bottle, not $5 for 2 ounces.

the K

Johnsons baby shampoo works better than toothpaste and it doesn't burn your eyes.

Johnsons baby shampoo works better than toothpaste and it doesn't burn your eyes.

The toothpaste is for cleaning, not mask defogging. The only time a mask should be toothpasted is when it's new, or if you start to have fogging problems.

Just a side note, make sure you aren't exhaling through your nose. If you do that through the duration of the dive, it will continually fog.

If you use a "Mr Clean Magic Eraser" sponge and either toothpaste or baking soda it works quite well and won't scratch the glass. It also works remakably well on white/dry erase boards and slates. This particular foam is very non-abrasive. (yes, I know way too much about foam).

Also, you will notice that if you keep your mask in a hard plastic case, it may have a tendency to fog more regularly or worse than if you do not. There are plasticizers in those cases that offgas and attach to the lens just like they do to the inside of your car windshield from the plastics in the dash/interiors.

If you use toothpaste, use a paste and not a gel. Gel's do not have enough abrasive to clean off the residue.

Back
Top Bottom