Stinging feeling in face

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryanh1985

Contributor
Reaction score
Today I was doing some diving an the local dive spot and experienced some issues I have never felt before. On decent from around 10- 30 feet I was experiencing a very noticeable burring/stinging feeling on my face. It did not happen on my first dive, but happened on dive 2 and 3. Only on decent and went away after around 1 min.

Just wondering what might have caused this?

Thanks for any ideas.

Ryan

i have no idea what causes that but i have experienced that before. i dont remember the specifics of it(where, when) but do remember it happening. it will be interesting to see if anyone has an answer.

Funny you should bring that up, I just got back from diving in Puerto Rico and out of maybe 14 dives it happened to me once ?
I have no idea what it was but a definite stinging sensation that went away after a couple of minutes. I thought, at the time, that maybe I just didn't see some mini translucent jelly or something ??

Funny you should bring that up, I just got back from diving in Puerto Rico and out of maybe 14 dives it happened to me once ?
I have no idea what it was but a definite stinging sensation that went away after a couple of minutes. I thought, at the time, that maybe I just didn't see some mini translucent jelly or something ??

yeah this was in fresh water so no possibility of jelly. Glad to see im not the only one and going crazy or something. :doh2:

Just by luck I read this post. I recently did 3 dives in NC and experienced a stinging on my face during ascent. I am thinking that it was just stinging from the multiple jellyfish in the area. Now I am wondering if that was really it? First 2 dives the stinging was right across my upper lip. The 3rd dive it was along my forehead under my hood.
I wonder if someone can come up with an answer.

It happens to me in cold water, usually in 50s. You didn't mention the temp you were diving or a thermocline?

We have that here in the Philippines and its caused by swarms of young plancton usually consisting of baby corals, sponges and the like who are looking for homes! Because they do not swim, the cruise around in the currents at the top end of the water in depths to around 20 feet and when they bump into something they try to latch on just in case its somewhere to build on, if not then the let go!
Vinegar is a good treatment for the stings, it soon stops he itching!

I'm not qualified to answer your questions but I could speculate that it might in some cases be related to sinus congestion. I don't know about the stinging sensation on the upper lip but I have encountered a stinging pain on my forehead on two occasions and those were both occasions when I had some sinus congestion. I could only conclude that my frontal or ethmoid sinuses might have been blocked which made inable or slow to equalise with the change of ambient pressure.

I'd be curious to know how dangerous this is.

It happens to me in cold water, usually in 50s. You didn't mention the temp you were diving or a thermocline?

This water was pretty warm, around mid 80's so I don't think that was the case.

I'm not qualified to answer your questions but I could speculate that it might in some cases be related to sinus congestion. I don't know about the stinging sensation on the upper lip but I have encountered a stinging pain on my forehead on two occasions and those were both occasions when I had some sinus congestion. I could only conclude that my frontal or ethmoid sinuses might have been blocked which made inable or slow to equalise with the change of ambient pressure.

I'd be curious to know how dangerous this is.

That might be very possible. I have been having some issues with my sinuses.

Could be sinuses. I usually describe the pain from sinuses not being able to equalize as an ice pick being jabbed into my forehead instead of a stinging sensation but that's just me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom