still cold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Getting cold has ended almost all of my dives. This weekend I have a new/tighter neck seal and am contemplating adding a 2nd neoprene hood, on top of the one I will already be wearing. It sounds ridiculous. Does anyone have any experience with this ?

I find it to be very situational. Eating well, exercising, and an agenda keep me warm. Mostly the agenda, -highly focussed on something other than just keeping warm.

Cold water is not for everybody. If it isn't for you, why force it? For me, seeing what the winter storms did to old and tired wrecks keeps me from thinking about more mundane things, like freezing to death. :wink:

lowviz, some of us love cold water diving, but don't like diving cold! Through six years of experimentation, I've learned I can be quite comfortable in any PNW water for 45 minutes, and often comfortable for 60 if it's a single dive. It takes management, though. Multiple dive days take even more. I think it's uncommon for anyone to do three dives in a day in our waters and not come up from the last one cold, unless they are either so inefficient that they are moving constantly, or they are doing pretty short dives.

It's worth the effort, though. The OP seems to indicate that he or she is willing to make that effort.

Getting cold has ended almost all of my dives. This weekend I have a new/tighter neck seal and am contemplating adding a 2nd neoprene hood, on top of the one I will already be wearing. It sounds ridiculous. Does anyone have any experience with this ?

Bolding is mine. Sounds like the OP is considering the sanity of this avocation. Let it play out. Overcoming discomfort is the passkey to both your and my local diving. Not for everyone. Some need to stay safe, dry, and warm. Others, like Ana, reside in more fortunate climes...

Good fitting wetsuit - I also made sure that all the seams are sealed/glued - both my 7mm are now basically semi-dry. I live and dive the quaries of Northern Minnesota and Lake Superior - I always make sure to eat high protien food before a dive. Protien is what the body burns to stay warm. I don't care if I'm snowmobiling or diving, if its cold I eat high energy food that will stay with me. I'm also a polor bear.

I think the OP was saying that wearing two hoods at the same time sounded ridiculous, and it sort of does. I'd go with the Otter Bay 12 mm helmet first. (Note: If you do this, do your measurements with a reg in your mouth and your jaw jutted a bit forward, or you will have significant TMJ discomfort while the hood is new!)

There is also the option of dry hoods. I have never used one, but was on a boat last weekend with someone who does, and swears by it.

Back
Top Bottom