Stiffest current you have ever been in?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Somewhere in the Galapagos, 1 day before a total lunar eclipse. Dive guides had us swimming against the current....used a fair amount of air getting round the corner to peace and tranquillity with the sea lions !

Night dive on a wreck in Malaysia - I decided to stay on the boat as the current had been increasing all day. Couple of divers came up not on the line and we then had to find them in the dark...

Strong currents are not my idea of fun.

...there I was, diving 170' down to the mouth of a 36" effluent pipeline for an inspection / repair , carrying a video camera, hydraulic wire-brush scale remover & a 5 gal. bucket of pipe treatment, to be applied to any damaged areas found. As always, I'm in a surface-supplied diving helmet with umbilical supply. That's a total of 5 separate lines to manage.

...I back into the pipe feet first & scurry my way into the pipe about 150'. I am diving on the W. Coast of Vancouver Island, an area known for it's rippin' tidal flows. My Supervisor has studied the tide charts & has slipped me in for this job during a brief slack-tide window.

...I wish he had read the charts a little more carefully.

...About :7 into the dive, & I'm videoing the interior of the pipe, giving a running dialogue of all that I see, when in an instant I am exiting the pipe like a fart from a bloated boa! All the lines I'm mangaing are acting like a giant kite in the sooner-than-planned-for tidal surge booking along at about 6 freakin' knots! I'm spat out the end of that pipe like a dart from a blowgun, but I mange to grab the flange face on the end of the pipe & hang on for all I'm worth. All my lines are gone save my umbilical, though the force of the current on it alone was enough to have me flapping in the current like a penant on an SST. Good thing I had my trusty 2' stab line with carabiner, which I clipped into the shot line to take up most of the pull. I'm breathing like a bull in a pen of playmate cows as I make my water stops, anxious to get topside & back down to 40', on O2, in my nice, climate-controlled deck chamber.

...I surface with the worst dam CO2 headache ever recorded. Gut-churning nausea to boot. Into the chamber I go & honk on the O2 bibs mask for all I'm worth. Slowly, the little man with the pick-axe whose been chipping away at my brain, gets bored of it all & leaves me alone.

...Just another day in the deepsea.

...So yes, I've dived in current some.

Best fishes,
DSD

Damn...!

I did a drift dive in Indonesia where I felt like a leaf flown in an autumn wind. No way I could stop to look at anything; no way I could slow down! I didn't like it, but my husband did. I don't know what the velocity of the current was, except that it was too fast.

But the strongest current I've ever been in is the outflow from the Devil's system at Ginnie Springs. You cannot swim against it; you can only pull and glide. It will freeflow your backup reg, if it isn't oriented properly. Even pulling and gliding, I got a CO2 headache almost every dive. The outflow of Ginnie is in the neighborhood of 35 million gallons per day. I don't know how many knots that is, but it's a LOT!

Dive trip coming up this weekend. Local reports are indicating 3+ knot current. Got me to wondering what the strongest current people dive in. I imagine some of you guys in the Pacific NW and NJ/NY area have the strongest. Just wondering what everyone has been diving in before.

My 5 Year Divorce :11doh:

Taveuni, Fiji: Somusomu straights. I have no idea what the actual speed was, but it blew everyone off the reef regularly.

jcf

At least 50 knots... it blew me all the way out of the dive park to Palos Verdes on the mainland coast.

Probably a 3-4 knot current I experienced inside the reef in Belize. The French divemasters and other divers were crawling along the bottom using their hands to grab coral (bad). I was kicking hard and filming them as we moved against the current back to the boat. After we got in the boat, the Frenchies asked how I could swim against that current. I told them "good German legs"). Fortunately they had a good sense of humor and we shared a few beers afterwards.

Have had currents in the same range here off Catalina. Got caught in one with the current line wrapped around the valve of my pony bottle and my main tank nearly empty. I was being dragged under the water by the current and couldn't open the valve so I was loudly expressing my displeasure at the situation. Thankfully Devin, the DM on the King Neptune was right there and untangled me. Then she and the other DM (Shelly) helped effect the assists for 22 other divers.

But the ones that really get to me are the reversing currents we see occasionally in the dive park. Head towards the Sujac working against a stiff current, then it reverses and you work hard against the reversed current to get back to the stairs. Heck, it reminds me of when I used to walk uphill both to and from school in 3 feet of snow with the temperature at 81 below with the wind chill!

I've been in stronger currents, but since we were doing drift dives I didn't have to swim against them, just with them.

About 7-8 knots. Drift dive on the colorado river. Just like flying.

A "down" current in Manado, Indonesia. Finished that dive and wondered whether PADI did a course in underwater mountaineering!

Now don't think it was that bad having read other's experiences...

I regularily dive the St. Clair River which connects Lake Huron to Lake St. Clair (and later to Lake Erie via the Detroit River). Majority of the dives are down further down river with 3 knot current although just for fun we will dive the mouth of the river about once a week where the current can easily get over 5 knots (I'm sure I have been in there with 6-7 at times). There are 2 wrecks in this part of the river that you can use as hand holds but make sure you see your next grip before letting go of your last one. Turn your head side ways and your mask can go missing (mask strap goes under the hood) and your reg can try to escape as well (we have had two occasions where the wire tie holding the mouth piece to the reg body failed during this dive).

Vis is considered excellent at around 40' but 15-20' is doable. Oh by the way - this is an international shipping channel so surfacing is definitely frowned upon.

No idea how fast but it was fast, about 3 times the worst I've ever experienced in Cozumel. This was in the Keys, a drift dive over deep coral....we just relaxed and flew along at a really good clip. It was almost too fast to enjoy the sights, but just not quite. It was a really fun dive though, covered alot of ground and just flew along totally relaxed....it was just like flying.....

I dont mind diving in current provided i dont ever have to try to swim against it. 4-5 knots is fine as a drift.

I'd refuse to dive with an operator that wanted me to spend half my dive wasting most of my gas fighting to get back to a boat just because they lacked the ability to do live pickups and drops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom