Stick-on readers for masks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use Trident glass diopters. Do not use the included adhesive but use clear silicone or UV cured optics adhesives instead.

On an afterthought, it may also be that my dive-computer is closer to my eyes than when I read a book/phone etc, and that's why a stronger lens is needed..

Yeah, my understanding is that reading glasses are optimized for 30cm distance. Was the +3 for dive mask based on trial and error or based on Dr's recommendation?

use clear silicone or UV cured optics adhesives

Can you give examples/links of those please?

Can you give examples/links of those please?
I use the same Trident magnifier lenses, but for glue I use Loctite Glass Glue. One drop of glue is enough, the Loctite glue is much more reliable (and much cheaper) than the Trident glue.

Was the +3 for dive mask based on trial and error or based on Dr's recommendation?
The old ones got too weak, so I added a stronger one of the DGX-masks to another order, and it solved the problem. At least for a while, I believe I "visited" 2,0 or 2,5 on my way to 3,0. 3,0 has been stable for a while now, hope I don't need stronger for a while as that seems less accessible.. I now use Scubapro Zoom as main mask with DGX as backup.

Loctite Glass Glue

This is transparent and doesn't cause any issues with vision and you don't notice it at all?

Hi folks, brand new here, and finally making the time to get my basic cert in GCM next month. With that said, I have researched the intel on outfits that will install permanent reader lenses in masks. I am currently using a 1.5 on dry land for my readers. I'm 20/20 for distance.

With that said, has anyone had any success with the stick-on type readers inside their masks? If so, what type and brand?

With the additional magnification inherent in the water, are folks bringing their corrections down or up when using a reader in the water? My thoughts are we're viewing our SPG and dive comps relatively close.

Thanks so much,

Ultra.
An optometrist and professor of optometry at Hong Kong University developed what he called the SeawiscopeEY, an attachment for scuba masks that allows for very close-up viewing. I have been using these lenses, corrected for underwater use, for over a decade and love them. They allow me to see things I could not before, such as a tiny hydra feeding while attached to a leaf. I would highly recommend that you at least try them. They can be in either an "up" or "down" position, so they don't interfere with vision when exiting a dive site with the mask still down (readers do interfere with this).

SeaRat

I've experimented with quite a few stick on lenses. I found that using Dishwasher Safe Glass Glue (comes in a small super glue like tube), and strategically sticking the reader to the outside of the mask window, works great. Trident Reader lenses are great. Don't use the glue that comes in the package.

Recently, I replaced the lenses on my Atomic Subframe mask made to fit +2 Atomic reader lenses. These work incredibly well.
1698370713518.png

I just tried locktite glass glue with stick on readers tonight. My advice is don't try locktite. It made the glass so blurry I peeled the lenses off and spent 20 minutes cleaning the blurry crap out of my mask with toothpaste.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom