Stewart Warner/Kidde Compressor and moisture seperator questions (Home mixing)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry about have had misunderstand your meaning and confused on Dave and Detlaff.

The attached is some photos regarding the aircraft motor modification which I have did it for my 2cfm kidde.

No."1" is the rear view of the original motor, this type motor is a total close type and without a cooling fan rated as " INT" duty, underneath the plate is the motor rear bearing housing .

No."2" is the close view of the centrifugal fan body, there have some ventilation holes created on the front and rear side of this motor to allowing the air can be pass through the motor to cool down the motor inside temperature.

No."3" have showed with the motor have attached a temp sensor with the initial temperature.

No."4" is the motor cooling fan turning image,

No."5" showing up the motor temp is going up to 32' C from the operation

Update you with a serious oil leakage problem on the kidde compressor might not resulted by the blow-by orifice plug get blocked but just relate to an excessive blow-by situation which caused by one or more stage cylinders, pistons/ plungers or piston rings get worn.

Today when I cleaning up my wearhouse I have found some military surplus compressor plates which are very rare and I been have owned 6 units in the past time, unfortunately, at finally I only got two with re-built succesfully and then sold it out. the outward and structure of these compressors is similar like the DC motor driven 2cfm Kidde, these Rhodes made compressors were same as the kidde one is 4 stage vertical type designed rated for 3000 psi, but the material used for the valves , cylinders and pistons just can't compete with the Kidde have had.

Anytime you see "Bureau of Aeronautics", it is very old. In today's America, because the word "Bureaucrat" has a bad connotation, the US Navy has taken to calling their bureaus "commands". The word "aeronautics" is rarely used today. Today, it's called "aviation" or "aerospace". Real antiques, indeed.

Peter, what compressor is leaking oil?

Hi ! Pesky

Firstly, Thank you for told me the story about " Bureau of Aeronautics". Thanks!

With regard the " leaking oil " issue, It's just I drew an inference for an another potential cause for the Ekarais' Kidde case, but nothing wrong with my 2cfm Kidde at present time except an excessive oil have found out through the dump line during the dump valve is working (dumping) after I stop the compressor, but from the compressor delivery pressure is still ok ( I have tested this 2cfm kidde and it can be pump the air up to 3500 psi with no problem ), so, I pupposed this phenomenon may just caused by the piston with a worn Oring in this dump valve ( you been mentioned it to me in before ). anyway, I will check the dump valve in later to find the root.

Peter

Yeah ! How much torques you do used to screw up the screws for the first stage cylinder head assembly, because a piece of PTFE was used as seal to sealing the valve body and the top cylinder head assembly on the first stage, and I just wonder how can I get it with a good sealing as same as the original it have had after we open and re-assemble it ? since base my undersatnd the TPFE is not like an Oring with a pasticity, therefore I have worry about using a less or an over torques used on these screws may leaded an air leaking problem or even could damaged this assembly. Thanks!

Aaah. I can only give you the American value, 25 pound inches. I believe a pound inch is 1.15 kg cms. The other 3 stages use various torque numbers but you can't go wrong if you use 40 pound inches for all. It is this same gasket that I sent to Ekarais but it never arrived at his address. #&^**X!#&*

Thank you for your informations, today I had using 25 pound inchs torques to screw up the first stage head assembly screws by according to your advice, then I apply a 60 psi pressure air into the output elbow and the result seems Ok. the test have showing me with the pressure dropping rate is arround 15 psi / 6 seconds finally it just kept at 20 psi for a certain time.

The dump valve with an excessive oil leaking phenomenon also get solved today after I repalced a new Oring for the dump valve plunger.

Now my last job on this 2 cfm kidde is the moisture separator modification work, this moisture separator was equiped a 3 rpm motor ( it's a small 400 hz motor with a reduing gear box) in original, this motor shaft is linked to a cam device which located underneath of this separator and the cam works to push a spring loaded piston, each time when the cam turn to the dead haed then the piston will give the seal plunger ( which is mounted on the top side of the spring loaded piston ) with a pull pulse to open the drain port for a short time to play an auto drain function. Unfortunately, some gears in the gear box were corroded and get damaged, so I have to looking for some solution to recover it.

Peter

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom