Steel vs AL for rentals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if they're banking EAN36 then the 100's may actually be worth it. That puts your EAD up at 66ft from 90 and you should have way more than 27mins of NDL.

I honestly have no idea how to get NDL's out of my computers and DecoPlanner doesn't acknowledge NDL so I'm not going to figure out what it actually is, but it should be seomwhere around 45-60minutes depending on your gradient factors.
For DSAT, the NDL for EANx 36 at 90 feet is 40 minutes. If you repeated the dive after a 1 hour SI, it would be 21 minutes.

I'd get the 100s. For $40 you get to try something new, get some weight off your belt and maybe get a few more minutes of dive time. It's also fun to be able to do some extra finning without having to worry about gas consumption.

Solid point about trying something new. May as well try out the 100s for at least one trip.

For DSAT, the NDL for EANx 36 at 90 feet is 40 minutes. If you repeated the dive after a 1 hour SI, it would be 21 minutes.

Looks like my Peregrine says 34 minutes at 90ft for EANx36 for the 1st dive,

It really depends on your gas consumption. I'm NDL limited with an AL80 and in warm water with little exposure protection steels put too much weight high on my back, so not my preference. If you need/want the extra gas, then steels are a good way to go. Have fun. :) All IMHO, YMMV.

Buhlmann with medium conservatism.
Sounds right. The DSAT algorithm (i.e., PADI tables) has no built in system for conservatism, so it would be closer to pure Buhlmann with no conservatism.

You should also consider the reality of the dive in your planning. If you check tables or computer limits and see that you have X number of minutes at 90 feet, that is not what is going to happen if you are using a computer. If you have a maximum depth of 90 feet, you will be above that for a significant part of the dive and will get more bottom time than that planning would predict.

You should also consider the reality of the dive in your planning. If you check tables or computer limits and see that you have X number of minutes at 90 feet, that is not what is going to happen if you are using a computer. If you have a maximum depth of 90 feet, you will be above that for a significant part of the dive and will get more bottom time than that planning would predict.

Really good point. Seems like another argument in favor of the 100s.

I did the wreck treck with them last week. That's probably one of the deepest dives they do on recreational trips. It can be 90' to the sand at some points on that drift dive. You drift over three wrecks on one dive. My max depth was 88.5' but my average depth was 71'. NDL limits will not be your limiting factor on these dives using 36% EAN. You will be limited by either gas consumption or the 45 minute time limit imposed by the operator. With the 100s with average gas consumption or better you can at least get all 45 minutes in. These are drift dives, the current can be strong on certain days. You can end up fighting the current some as you try to checkout and navigate between the wrecks. Which is why the extra gas is helpful.

Back
Top Bottom