Steel vs AL for rentals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did my first Jupiter dives this past spring. I was very happy I got the steel 100s and 36%. Two 45 minute dives at 60-80 feet. I would have been limited by gas if I had done AL80s, and I think they have 25 minute bottom time limit for air divers. It was really a lot of fun.

I did the wreck treck with them last week. That's probably one of the deepest dives they do on recreational trips. It can be 90' to the sand at some points on that drift dive. You drift over three wrecks on one dive. My max depth was 88.5' but my average depth was 71'. NDL limits will not be your limiting factor on these dives using 36% EAN. You will be limited by either gas consumption or the 45 minute time limit imposed by the operator. With the 100s with average gas consumption or better you can at least get all 45 minutes in. These are drift dives, the current can be strong on certain days. You can end up fighting the current some as you try to checkout and navigate between the wrecks. Which is why the extra gas is helpful.

Right on. I ended up moving to the 100s for the whole weekend. Whether the gas is needed or not, it will be fun to try out steel for once.

I did my first Jupiter dives this past spring. I was very happy I got the steel 100s and 36%. Two 45 minute dives at 60-80 feet. I would have been limited by gas if I had done AL80s, and I think they have 25 minute bottom time limit for air divers. It was really a lot of fun.

Awesome - thanks for this! I did end up moving to the 100s for all eight dives. Good to know about the timed dives and the limits on air divers - that doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere on their site.

Glad someone mentioned the time limits. It slipped my mind!! Most boats in SE Florida have time limits on their dives. Air divers always have a shorter time limit. With JDC Nitrox divers MUST be on the surface at 55 minutes. They want you to start your assent at 45 minutes.

Awesome - thanks for this! I did end up moving to the 100s for all eight dives. Good to know about the timed dives and the limits on air divers - that doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere on their site.

Good call!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom