steel tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awills101

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I know old aluminum tanks (pre 1990) are nearly impossible to get filled, are stel tanks the same way?

im looking to buy a used steel tank is there anything i should be looking for? (numbers, etc)

and also does the tank show what size it is and if its hp or lp?

thanks

There was one type of Alum that had issues.

This does NOT impact Steel tanks. The main thing to watch out for with steel is rust inside the tank.

I would inspect any steel tank you are considering using a flashlight, and by removing the valve. Getting a tank with a recent hydro is also a good idea.

I have no idea if all steel tanks are marked or not, or if the markings make sense or can be used to determine the size of the tank. I would assume the seller would know this info. If not, you may end up with a heck of a deal! :D

A HP 100 is about the same footprint as an AL80 if that helps at all.

any steel tank, if in good condition, should be filled by any dive shop. If it still has a current visual inspection, and a current hydro date.

As far as HP or LP, you should be able to check on the neck and see the fill pressure. On steels it could be from 2200 or 3500, or somewhere in between. As far as cubic footage, you have to have a little knowledge, steels come in different sizes, and based upon the fill pressure, have different final volumes. it wont say on the neck what the cubic footage is, but any dive shop should be able to tell you if the seller cant.

the owner of the tank im looking at does not know anything about the tank he bought it from a friend along with 3 other tanks and alot of other dive gear for $300 so if it looks good then i may end up getting a good deal? (we havent talked about a price)

also will a hp and lp of the same size(cf) hold the same amount of air? (give the same amount of bottom time?) since lp's are a little bigger

if you have two tanks of the same physical size, the HP will last longer because it has more air. however, if you have a HP 100 and a LP 100 they will last the same because they both contain the same volume of air. But the LP will be much bigger in size to make up for the lower pressure

if you could post the neck marking off the tank, we could probly tell you what type and size of tank it is. a picture would be even better

if both tanks are labeled as the same cubic foot then they will hold the same volume of air at their rated pressure.

but for example, a lp104 and a hp130 are nearly identical in physical size and as such will hold about the same amount of air at the SAME pressure. fill a lp 104 to 3500 and get about 130ft and fill a hp130 to 2600 and get about 104ft.

make sense??

i havent even seen it im going to look at it tomorrow....

i was also just offered a brand new faber lp95 without a valve for $125 is that a good deal?

sorry for all the questions im new to steel tanks

That is a fantastic deal -- where can we get some? :D

if both tanks are labeled as the same cubic foot then they will hold the same volume of air at their rated pressure.

but for example, a lp104 and a hp130 are nearly identical in physical size and as such will hold about the same amount of air at the SAME pressure. fill a lp 104 to 3500 and get about 130ft and fill a hp130 to 2600 and get about 104ft.

make sense??

so if i fill a lp104 to 3500 i will get about a 130cf of air
and if i fill a hp 130 to 2600 i get 104cf?

Back
Top Bottom