steel tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Then again, LP cylinders are regularly pumped to 3600psi or more in some parts of the country, and there certainly isn't an epidemic of cylinders exploding left and right.

I am sorry to report that a lot of places in Central Florida that used to fill LP's to 3500 won't any more. There weren't many in South Florida that did that, anyhow. I liked my LP95 when it was filled up to 122 cu.ft. It became less likable when I could not get it overfilled, so I sold it.

Buying LP tanks in anticipation of easily getting overfills may lead to disappointment. Take it from me.

anyone have any opinions on which conversion kit to use to conver my first stage to din? i would like to be able to switch back to my yoke relatively easily

I would definately recommend steel over aluminum mainly if you arer a thick wetsuit or drysuit diver. Depending on the size of the tank, you can drop around 14 lbs of lead. Nice not carrying the extra. High Pressure is the way to go for sure. Lp tanks are much bigger. A steel 100 is slightly shorter than a aluminum 80. As long as you give them a fresh water rinse after salt water diving they will last a life time.

I know old aluminum tanks (pre 1990) are nearly impossible to get filled, are steel tanks the same way?

im looking to buy a used steel tank is there anything i should be looking for? (numbers, etc)

and also does the tank show what size it is and if its hp or lp?

thanks

getting an aluminum tank was never in the question i was just asking a few questions about steel tanks....

thanks for your help though

anyone have any opinions on which conversion kit to use to conver my first stage to din? i would like to be able to switch back to my yoke relatively easily

Yeah, the one from the mfg that made your reg. :wink: And with some once din, you can use the parts from the yoke to make a din-to-yoke adapter rather than buying one.

Back
Top Bottom