Steel tanks - what's what...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, it's a steel 72. Actually 65 cf at 2250 psi. If the tank is '+' rated, it can be filled to 2475 psi and you will get the nominal 72 cf. Look for a '+' stamped after the most recent hydro stamp.

If you were using Al 80s, it didn't do much for your ballast situation. An Al 80 could be as much as 4# positive at the end of a dive whereas an HP 100 will be 2.5# negative. All else being equal, you need to carry about 7# more lead when you use an Al 80 versus an HP 100.

I have no idea what the buoyancy characteristics are for an LP 72. I have been trying to get the numbers so I can increase the lead in my weight harness. It MIGHT be something like 5# negative when full, neutral when empty. But I'm not sure of tha and I'm not sure that 3# will make a difference. I'm already a little heavy according to DSS.

I get mixed reviews about the buoyancy and trim characteristics of the LP 72. I just want to use it with my Mistral double hose regulator. This particular regulator probably shouldn't see 3000 psi.

Richard

I have owned maybe 20 steel 72's over the years. They range from 1 pound positive to 1 pound negative when empty depending on who made it and when.

On average, they are about 4 lbs more negative than an AL80.

Personally, I like the buoyancy and trim of steel 72's and they make great recreational doubles.

As a single they are 2 pounds lighter than an AL80 and you can carry 4 lbs less lead so you save 6 pounds in tiotal weight.

I dove my double 72s last weekend for the first time. Once I got over the initial adjustment to a lot more mass on my back, I really enjoyed it. They're surprisingly easy to carry on land, and overall I found that I trim out well in them. I think the two big differences from single tank diving for me are the extra inertia and the rec wing. That thing is supposed to be a small doubles wing, to me it was like diving with a life raft. It's nice on the surface, I could inflate it and float on my back all day. I'm used to the immediate venting and precise buoyancy adjustments of a really small singles wing; this ain't it.

I breathed them down to 500 PSI, and still needed no lead with a 5 mil suit, AL plate, fresh water. The bands, manifold, and extra 1st stage probably add 4 lbs minimum.

Back
Top Bottom