Steel Tanks: Math!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
blocked by water, probably inches or less...

you could always do "surface supplied 802.11g" though and run a tether...
If I'm running a tether I may as well go gig-e.

Woohoo! Streaming hi-def at 110fsw!

Typing in gloves is gonna be a bear, tho.

Dammit. Now I want one.

CompuDude:
If I'm running a tether I may as well go gig-e.

Woohoo! Streaming hi-def at 110fsw!

Typing in gloves is gonna be a bear, tho.

Dammit. Now I want one.

need a big-huge blue-glove friendly keyboard...

and even if you run cat6e to the surface you've still got to get to an ISP -- if you're shore diving i suppose you could run the cat6 up on land and into a walljack somewhere... there are distance limitations to ethernet runs though...

It's all about WiMax from the shore to the boat, then a simple Cat6 drop to the diver. Tho I might need to find some waterproof cable.

Until WiMax gear is released, tho, they get pretty good range out of a yagi or pringles can antenna (or a waveguide cantenna). :D

lamont:
blocked by water, probably inches or less...

you could always do "surface supplied 802.11g" though and run a tether...

Or do like the submarines do and run a VLF radio antenna (assuming you can swim trailing several hundred feet of cable :wink: )

CompuDude, I notice your local so I assume this mystery white pst is/was a local tank as well... There is a service that runs at several of the LDS out here that refurbish steel tanks, tumble, blast, and repaint...with white paint. Id put money that the tank has seen the inside of West Coast, SSA, Aloha, or Hollywood.

David P:
CompuDude, I notice your local so I assume this mystery white pst is/was a local tank as well... There is a service that runs at several of the LDS out here that refurbish steel tanks, tumble, blast, and repaint...with white paint. Id put money that the tank has seen the inside of West Coast, SSA, Aloha, or Hollywood.
Interesting. I just bought it a few days ago from a guy who lives in Simi. It has an inspection sticker from Channel Islands Scuba, if I recall (It's in the car awaiting a refill after wednesday's night dive). I did note that the original stamps (DOT, etc) were painted in (9/92 manuf. date), but the first hydro in '98 and the recent hydro (April 06) were both stamped through the paint. So if it was painted after the fact, it was quite a while ago... and before the first hydro. Seems odd that someone would paint a fairly new tank.

bradshsi:
I don't dispute your observation, but your conclusion seems curious to me.

Tank buoyancy is pretty standard engineering. Assuming the manufacturers quoted values are correct, I would not expect large departures from the norm (only small ones due to manufacturing tolerances).

Which leads to the conclusion that either Faber's values are off for the 133 or you changed something else at the same time you changed tanks.

In my limited experience I have found no weight surprises when changing tanks.

Similar situation for me. I dove a HP130 and ended up dropping 12 lbs and can probably drop a couple more. That suggested to me that I was overweighted with an Al80. So later the same day I dove an Al80 and dropped 4 lbs. I needed that 4 lbs back in order to stay down, otherwise I was too light and heading to the surface. Nothing in my kit was changed other than the tank.

Bill.

Back
Top Bottom