Steel Tanks: Math!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CoolTech:
Ok,
Used to need 12 lbs. before the Faber... now, 0 lbs.

Tank empty empty bouyancy is not -12 lbs, and the positive bouyancy of the al S80 doesn't make up the difference.

I mentioned this so you understand that not everything will always work out the way you plan it.

Yeah, I did the math.

I found myself descending like a rock. And, using air in the BC on ascent with as little as 4 lbs of weight

The math may not work. It didn't in my case.
Good point. Yes, real world results don't match up with theory every time. I will be sure to experiment before attempting any advanced dives. :)

That said, as I mentioned, looks like it's not a Faber after all, but an older, painted PST. Didn't know there was such a thing... unless the paint job was end user-applied.

CompuDude:
Good point. Yes, real world results don't match up with theory every time. I will be sure to experiment before attempting any advanced dives. :)

That said, as I mentioned, looks like it's not a Faber after all, but an older, painted PST. Didn't know there was such a thing... unless the paint job was end user-applied.

heh, if that's true its a really good reason to test your weighting on shallow dives -- you might have done a missile to the surface after taking 6# off....

lamont:
heh, if that's true its a really good reason to test your weighting on shallow dives -- you might have done a missile to the surface after taking 6# off....
The real question is: do I put air in my BC or not while doing the test. :wink:

CoolTech:
I dive faber blue 133 with no weight and no wetsuit. I am 6.00 ft and 265. The reason I bring this up?... everyone is different. What works for you, may not work for others. Reduce/increase weight based on your situation. if you need less weight, reduce it on the next dive.... until it works for you

I don't dispute your observation, but your conclusion seems curious to me.

Tank buoyancy is pretty standard engineering. Assuming the manufacturers quoted values are correct, I would not expect large departures from the norm (only small ones due to manufacturing tolerances).

Which leads to the conclusion that either Faber's values are off for the 133 or you changed something else at the same time you changed tanks.

In my limited experience I have found no weight surprises when changing tanks.

CompuDude:
The real question is: do I put air in my BC or not while doing the test. :wink:

we could ressurect the old thread about if a diver can clear the surface on a polaris missile shot... =)

bradshsi:
I don't dispute your observation, but your conclusion seems curious to me.

Tank buoyancy is pretty standard engineering. Assuming the manufacturers quoted values are correct, I would not expect large departures from the norm (only small ones due to manufacturing tolerances).

Which leads to the conclusion that either Faber's values are off for the 133 or you changed something else at the same time you changed tanks.

In my limited experience I have found no weight surprises when changing tanks.

Well, every dive I made prior to the new tanks:

Were made on S80. Also understand, I dive south of the Carolina's in both fresh and salt water, and until the water dips below 70 F, I do not need a wetsuit.

There are some issues that are not associated with "standard" divers in this environment, but NO, I did not change anything from MY standard dive profile (although some of my buddies might think my style is somewhat unstandard... lol)

On my last dive (with 2 lbs of weight in my BC), I was on the bottom, inflating my BC for bouyancy and my buddy was 30-40 ft. above me... I did not like that fact, but it was a fact)

Packhorse:
Woops. My bad. I was at 100meters and narced when I answered the question. sorry.
I have GOT to find out what kind computer you use! :wink:

Hmm... anyone know what kind of range an 802.11g router's signal will give you underwater? :eyebrow:

CompuDude:
I have GOT to find out what kind computer you use! :wink:

Hmm... anyone know what kind of range an 802.11g router's signal will give you underwater? :eyebrow:

blocked by water, probably inches or less...

you could always do "surface supplied 802.11g" though and run a tether...

Back
Top Bottom