Steel tanks finish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

patnee

Reaction score
hi
i have recently moved to ny from ireland where i used 12l (100 cubic foot) steel tanks
i left them there and now need to buy new tanks
you have a lot more options here and i was wondering if anyone could tellme the "best" finish ie zinc or galvanized to protect scuba tanks?
would appreciate any input
pat

I have 2 HP 130 Steels with the Zinc and 4 LP 80's Steels with the Galvanized finnish. They seem to both do real well. My LP steels, 2 are in for there 2nd hydro's and 2's going in. One out of the first two had to be tumbled.

The only thing the Galvanized exteriors seem to discolor in spots. ???????????? So, maybe someone with more knowledge can help us both!

OHH BY THE WAY

banana.gif
wavey.gif

WELCOME TO
:sblogo::colouredsmilies::colouredsmilies:

hi
i have recently moved to ny from ireland where i used 12l (100 cubic foot) steel tanks
i left them there and now need to buy new tanks
you have a lot more options here and i was wondering if anyone could tellme the "best" finish ie zinc or galvanized to protect scuba tanks?
would appreciate any input
pat

Welcome to Scubaboard!

I have two Worthington HP 130's, and they are hot dipped galvanized.
Check it out here: XS Scuba Worthington Steel Scuba Cylinders

I have not had any spotting occur, but I have only taken them into fresh water.
I love them, and would highly recommend them.
They are distributed by XS Scuba in the US, and can be had by any XS dealer and through diveriteexpress.com (highly recommended, as they come O2 cleaned, and with a small amount of air in them to keep out moisture, and with free shipping).

All the best,
Geoff

Hot dipped galavanizing seems to last forever and due to how it works at an electrochemical level, a scratch or nick is still protected from rust.

On the other hand Faber's paint process is exceptional and they hold up very well to heavy use so I would not say no to a good deal.

There are in my opinion more important considerations like volume, weight, size, bouyancy and trim.

hi
i would like to thank you for your replies
after i posted it dawned on me to search for "galvanized on this forum"
i was embarrassed to discover a wealth of information already there.
i really do appreciate the fact that you go to the trouble of answering and think this is a valuable recourse for divers of all levels
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ta...-painted-steel-tanks.html?highlight=galvanize
this is one of the links i found useful
again thank you

hello again
anybody have any recommendations on dive sites,boats ,centers etc in the ny city area
oh and i think i will get two xs galvanized steel tanks from Worthington X-Series SCUBA Diving Tanks
they seem to have the best price delivered anyone disagree?

That's where I got my steel 119's and my buddy got his steel 130's. Best deal we could find.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom