Steel LP85 doubles way too negative

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Scared Silly I've been experiencing the turtle effect but I made some adjustments on my harness and backplate/wing position and felt much better diving today. I guess it put my center of gravity in a better position. I could even comfortably switch to different positions other than horizontal.

@Compressor I am diving a 7mm, aluminum backplate, 45lb wing.

@tbone1004 I believe I'm just used to the single tank deal where it is just easy to get slightly negative or neutral with little adjustments. I'm gonna make sure to see what it feels like to have the tank almost empty, and I will also try renting some Al80 doubles to try them before making a decision. Not sure how I'd add weight with those tanks, but I'll narrow down the number with a weight belt and then probably a steel plate and maybe some attached to the tank bands.

Thank you all for the advice.

If you need to weight in addition to the SS plate with doubles, the easiest way to add it is as a V-weight, in the center between the tanks and the plate. Doubles will often tend to put you head heavy, so you might just need some weight low down. There are pockets which attach to the bottom bolt, or you could just cut a lead V-weight in half.

@Antonio Neves

This is how you add weight with your doubles. I use it with mine for 5 lbs between tanks. It accepts soft weights. Halcyon V weight that can hold 10 lbs total.

Extreme Exposure

I put soft weights between my wing and backplate for doubles.

If I were to dive steel doubles in a wet suit I would consider a lift bag a must bring. ( really its a safer practice for any wet suit dive then the horrifying idea of ditching weights )

So, I just started diving doubles after taking an Intro to Tech class, and I am using LP85s. I think I probably made a mistake buying those. They seem to be way too negative, and even though I can get neutral by pumping a ton of air into the wing, I don't think that's the way to go.

Just to put my buoyancy in context, I carry 10lbs of weight on a 7mm suit diving a single aluminum 80. During class, they really advocated all the advantages of the LP85 so I thought it was the way to go. Right now after trying them out extensively it just feels uncomfortable and I want to try to become more balanced.

I am now thinking about switching to Al80 doubles, and probably also switch to a steel backplate.

Is that the way to go? Or is there anything else I can do and still use the LP85s?

Go for the 80s, but I wouldn't be sure you'll need a steel plate. In my 5mil suit I need 7-8 lbs with a single AL80 but nothing with doubles. The bands and manifold add quite a bit of ballast.

I used lp85 faber doubles in a wetsuit with a Diverite redundant bladder rec XT bladder during my trimix instructor course. No problems whatsoever.

I did notice that they are a bit more head heavy than al80 doubles. It was necessary to shift my weights lower on my weight bar to account for the change in center of gravity.

This next diving season, I will be purchasing a set for myself as I have higher somewhat than normal gas consumption.

The Blue Steel guy at DEMA got mad when I mentioned that a lot of people pump them up to 3600 or higher.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom