Steel 95 vs AL 80 ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Islandheart

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I'm a returning diver and during re-cert I used up my AL80s way before anyone else, even the new divers, came even close to using up a tank.

Again yesterday on a Florida dive, 50ft max, my buddy and I had to end the dive short because I used up (down to 500psi) my rental AL80 before he even got down to a 1200psi on his.

I'm ready to buy a Faber LP95 to give me a little more air so I'm not the one ending the dives before our planned ascents.

I trim out well, am in reasonable condition and do my best to relax during dives to conserve but does not seem to help.

The LP95 appears to be a little bigger around but shorter than the AL80, and no plans at all for anything beyond Rec/Fun diving in my future.

What do you guys think, good idea or not?

A bigger tank is always viable option.

I prefer steel to AL for the buoyancy characteristic.

A big advantage of owning your own gear will be consistency.

You're returning to diving. You could easily be experiencing what the new guys are experiencing. With more diving time, you air consumption could get better.

Last night in the pool, we had three students. One male and two females.

The husband got to 500psi and the girls will still around 1500-1700psi. There is the male vs. female thing, but we started to work on buoyancy. He couldn't get the idea of short bursts of air in his BC. He would be on the surface, then on the bottom, on the surface, then on the bottom. He was playing his inflator like a sax. That and he was very spastic underwater. All contribute to higher air consumption rates.

Get the bigger tank. The more you dive again, the better your air consumption will get. Ultimately though there is the metabolism issue, which I'm not sure you can really overcome.

In my first OW dive after certification, I sucked down an Al 80 in just a little over 30 minutes at less than 40 ft. I went to work reducing that consumption and, even at 225 pound, reduced my SAC by a factor of over 2 to to .4 to .5 range. I suggest you first work for a while getting your SAC down.

However, there may still be times when you will want more gas than the Al80 provides (or you may just be a big breather). Nothing wrong with an LP95. I opted for an HP100 for when I need extra gas. It is just about the same size as an AL80. It is the same diameter which means no tanks strap adjustments to switch back and forth. And even when you can't get it pumped up to 3442 psi, it still has plenty of extra gas as 3100 to 3200.

If you don't mind adjusting tank straps, an LP 95 is usually a good bit less expensive and easier to get filled (or overfilled even).

The bigger tank is a good idea for local diving but you'll still have the issue on trips unless you can rent a bigger tank at your destination. More and more places are doing that, but you'll still end up using an AL80 for some dives.

Awap is living proof that even geezers (hehe) can be excellent on air consumption. I suspect in his case his swimming regimen helps quite a bit. (That and he is a very efficient diver) Try taking up swimming laps and you might be surprised at what happens to your SAC.

I'm a returning diver and during re-cert I used up my AL80s way before anyone else, even the new divers, came even close to using up a tank.

Again yesterday on a Florida dive, 50ft max, my buddy and I had to end the dive short because I used up (down to 500psi) my rental AL80 before he even got down to a 1200psi on his.

I'm ready to buy a Faber LP95 to give me a little more air so I'm not the one ending the dives before our planned ascents.

I trim out well, am in reasonable condition and do my best to relax during dives to conserve but does not seem to help.

The LP95 appears to be a little bigger around but shorter than the AL80, and no plans at all for anything beyond Rec/Fun diving in my future.

What do you guys think, good idea or not?

I have 95s and like them very much. They're shorter than AL80s and trim out well. As you've noticed, they're 8" diameter tanks, and I've heard that they're inconvenient on some boats that have only 7.25" tank holders, but I haven't had any problems myself.

As for whether they're good tanks for you, a lot of it depends on your exposure protection. What kind of wetsuit do you dive in, and how much total ballast do you use?

As for gas, they do hold a lot more than AL80s, but your gas consumption is a function of comfort and experience, and as you dive more your SAC rate will decrease markedly.

Before shelling out for tanks give yourself a few more dives to work the jitters out. You say you are doing good but are you really ? focus on trim breathing and RELAX. You just got back into it and will get better with practice. I suck air down when I am cold also when I first started out I was real bad. Do a lot better now.

I own AL 80's, X7-100s and LP95s.

A steel 100 weighs about the same as a an AL 80 at about 33 pounds with valve. A Faber LP95 weighs a bit more at 37 lbs. But the good news is that the steel tanks are about -1.5 lbs buoyant when empty compared to +4.4 for the AL 80, so you can reduce the lead weight you wear by 5 lbs.

That means the steel 100 is about 5 lbs less when you consider the lead you wear with it, and the LP 95 weighs about the same as an AL 80.

Either one is a good choice.

I'm in Key Largo, Dive Shop Haven, I looked at the FX-100 they are $339.00 here.

I can get a deal on the LP95 at $286......the guys at the shop with the LPs, say they fill them to 3000 all the time.... equal to or more than the 100HP ????

Man you can really tell a difference in the size 8" on the LP. The guy with the FX-100 was knocking the LP tanks BIG TIME. Said the LP will not HYDRO after being over filled ????????

So, go with the FX-100 or the LP-95..... sorry to keep up the questions but $$$ are too hard to come by and make a wrong choice.....

Thanks guys for your continued replies !!!

I love my LP95s & LP121. As said above, the only down side I've found is not fitting in small style tank holders.

An LP 95 holds 95 cu ft at 2640 psi. At 3000 psi it holds 108 cu ft and with a 3600 psi "cave fill" it will hold 129.7 cu ft.

Cave divers have been getting them cave filled for years and they still pass hydro. I recently had two of ours hydroed and we normally fill them to 3600 psi.

The issue is whether you can get them filled to 3000 psi or more. If so the LP 95 is the way to go. If not go with the HP 100.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom