Steel 72s v. Aluminum 80s

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sarita75:
Thanks Gary. I had a hard time saying no to them ... but there you go. :)

I had to leave my steel 72s when the family moved from MD back to Chicago. The moving company wouldn't take them and my wife couldn't convince them otherwise.

Recently, I bought two more and both were disasters. I had the first one tumbled and hydro'd, but it was full of rust at the next VIP. This is the one in the photo. The second one was sooo rusty inside that I couldn't find anyone who would wotk on it. It is still sitting in the dive shop in Racine, WI.

When I found out about the Worthington steel LP 72's, I bought two and I like them a lot. When I have the room, I'll buy more. (Read that as when more kids move out.) :D

Could we have a link to the NEW LP 77 cf cylinders--where do you get them?

Steel tanks including the famous steel 72 we are discussing are made from chromoly steel alloys. This is a seriously tough material and could have a lifespan of centuries if there is no rust or physical damage and they are not routinely overfilled. At a similar fill cycle an aluminum tank of 6000 series alloy would be good for a couple of decades of use and are very cost effective and low maintenence. I like the aluminum 80 and the aluminum 63--don't care what others think-- in warm water diving they are fine tanks.

I keep hearing this "risk" thing--baloney-- an old steel 72 tank in hydro with no damage or serious rust issues presents no increase in any sort of "risk". No tank I know dives quite like a steel 72, it's balance and bouyancy characteristics are hard to beat at least for the warmer water diver. I like the Faber steel LP 85, 7 inch diameter tank, bigger than a steel 72 but feels good in the water and carries a full 85 cf at 2640 psi. When I say warmer water I am meaning that the diver has no heavy and bouyant exposure protection requiring offsetting weight--either via a weight system/belt or a heavy tank or some combintion of such.

I also have steel 72s purchased new by myself in the late 60s, in continuous hydro and with hundreds of dives on them, hundreds. I have had steels fail hydro due to pitting rust (my neglect). Keep your steel tanks clean and dry and look in them--yourself--frequently enough to monitor potential rust and they will last you nearly forever.

N

Thanks for the link, an interesting tank for sure though a bit to negative for no BC diving. Maybe I will get a couple though I like that Faber 85, already have two of them and they dive real nice. N

My oldest steel 72 is older than I am...original hydro date is 4-61 and I was born in 12-61. I'm always on the lookout for bargains on them and have even had several given to me over the years. My rule of thumb is: if I can get the tank for less than $24 out of hydro, then spend $18 for hydro and $8 for vis, I'll buy it. Including the tanks that were given to me, my average per tank is way less than $50. Valves are no big deal since I've got a whole bucket of decent k valves I've acquired over the years and there's always a market for vintage j valves on ebay to help offset the cost. I'll scan ebay for tanks that are close by and never pay for shipping. I've picked up tanks for as little as $9 and $15. I stay away from tanks that are vinyl coated, which means they probably are lined, and buy only galvanized tanks. Perhaps it's just a nostalgic thing with me, since I learned on steel 72's and dove extensively with them throughout my Navy hitch. But like Nem, I say they can't be beat for trim and buoyancy characteristics. Oh, sure I own other tanks too. I've got hp 100's and lp 108's along with a plethora of aluminum pony and stage bottles, but I'd have to say, I've never owned an AL80. I don't like diving with them when I'm forced to on vacations, but if that's all there is available, it beats staying dry.

Long live the steel 72!

Hi Sarita,

Here is what I got and have been using for a long time.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=AL80N

Its neutral buoyant, rated at 3300, and don't need that extra 4 pounds or whatever for a regulator aluminum tank.

And best of all, it was cheap too :D

RoyN :)

Back
Top Bottom