Stealth light w/new halcyon 10w light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dryglove

Contributor
Reaction score
I received my light in the mail yesterday and just wanted to post a quick review and some pictures.

The light itself is the new style halcyon 10w light head.I must say it is a rather nice unit and looks very sturdy.It has a very nice feature that you turn the back knurled knob to adjust the focus.Very easy and straight forward.From what i have read the internals are designed where the bulb plugs directly into the ballast eliminating some of the striking problems of the older light heads.I also think that bulb replacement is suppose to be easier also.I may be wrong on that and am not gonna tear it apart to find out.

The light cannister from dan and the rest of the hardware is top quality.Dan was extremely helpful and answered every question i threw at him.Defiinitely a great guy.The quality of his work including the battery pack is short of amazing.I can tell by talking to dan that he is very meticulous and pays great attention to detail when building these lights.The battery pack comes with a built in fuse set up that is the black tube in the battery pack.He also offered to replace the fuse with an extra battery if i wanted more burn time but he does not recommend doing that for obvious reasons.My light burn tested for 3hr 45min and if i opted for the extra battery it would push it over 4hr.I opted for the fuse just for the simple fact i would rather be safe than sorry instead of trying gain a few extra minutes burn time.Besides 3hr 45min burn time should be more than enough.

I originally had planned to take it with me tomorrow to monterey to try it out but unfortunately my 36lb wing wont be in till next week and dont really know of a way to strap it to a conventional bc.My wing will be in next week which is also during the same time frame that my wife is due to deliver our baby boy.Woohoo finally got a boy!! So it will probably be a few weeks before i get to dive it and post a follow up report. I cant wait to try it out.Its killing me i cant use it.I may take it anyways and stick the cannister in my drysuit pocket.Yes im that desperate...lol.Anyways check out the pics and see what you think.I took pictures of it with my canadian extreme backup light for a size comparison.The whole set up is extremely compact.

You suck, and I am jealous. :eek:ut: That is the same combo I plan on buying later this year. Probably after Christmas though.

Oh yeah, congrats on the new baby! That's great.

Well shoot.I went diving today and didnt even have a chance to use my new light.I entered a navigation contest.The vis was about 3-5 ft making this a normally simple course very complicated.There was plenty of surge and a slight current making it very hard to stay on track.It was a great learning experience though.Once i get my wing in ill dive it in a few weeks.For now i have to suffer.On the bright side i did get to dive.

And by the way jamesk,thanks for the congrats on the new baby.Anybody know of a good place to buy scuba gear for a baby age 0-3 mos?

<<And by the way jamesk,thanks for the congrats on the new baby.Anybody know of a good place to buy scuba gear for a baby age 0-3 mos?>>

Buy a Prism rebreather and stick him in the clear scrubber container. :D

How is the length? Can you still use the canister to hold the long hose? (on waist belt)

Thanks
Eric

The cannister without the lid on is 6 1/2 inches.There is about 2inches of the cannister that hange below the waist strap.I just purchased a seven foot hose the other day and havent tried it but i see no problem with it being tucked under the cannister.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom