Stealth bungee options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Candiru

Contributor
Reaction score
I am going to a pool session today and I'm trying to fine tune my bungee setup on my stealth. The three options that I'm considering are old school loop snap bolted onto chest strap, floating loops, or loop tied above chest dring. It looks like the instructors at Protec diving use the floating loops, but I can't find any video of the actual attachment procedure.

Any thought?

I am going to a pool session today and I'm trying to fine tune my bungee setup on my stealth. The three options that I'm considering are old school loop snap bolted onto chest strap, floating loops, or loop tied above chest dring. It looks like the instructors at Protec diving use the floating loops, but I can't find any video of the actual attachment procedure.

Any thought?

Attachment for what? Bungee to harness or bungee to tank?

The floating loop is simple. Tie a short loop of bungee around the shoulder harness webbing. Then thread one end of a second longer (length depends on your body) piece of bungee thru the eyelet on the small back plate (top node) and tie a knot. Run that bungee thru your floating loop and back to the second hole on the back of the harness and tie another knot. Repeat for the other side. I can take a picture of my harness for you tonight when I get home for work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Bungee to tank.

---------- Post added May 1st, 2013 at 12:11 PM ----------

Also, why do you like the floating bungee vs old school loop

Do you use a bolt snap on the neck also.

---------- Post added May 1st, 2013 at 12:13 PM ----------

Could you measure the length of your bungee? From node to furthest point of bungee.

Bungee to tank.

Also, why do you like the floating bungee vs old school loop

Do you use a bolt snap on the neck also.

---------- Post added May 1st, 2013 at 12:13 PM ----------

Could you measure the length of your bungee? From node to furthest point of bungee.

I just pull the bungee down and around my valve (valve down, first stage in towards the body).

I've never used "old school" but I like the floating bungee because 1. I can't loose it behind my back because it always attached. 2. Because I can slide the floating loop down while suiting up which makes it easier to don and doff the harness.

Yes I have a bolt snap attached to my tank via a piece of rope (I really like having a hard point of attachment.)

I can try to measure mine for you tonight although fitting it was easy:
(With the floating loop on the harness and wearing it)
Pull your bungee from the top node to the floating loop with out stretching it. Now add a little more length (so you have the slack needed for the tank.). Now double oven the bungee and run that back to the top node. Repeat for opposite side.

Last edited:
I just got back from the pool. I had set up the ed style old school loop and it worked fine. I ended up using 13 lbs plus the two lp85 tanks with the heavy undergarments and drysuit. I was a bit topheavy so I'll try shifting the three weights lower down on the back. I really like the weight system, so much better than weight belt. I also found the I had to use the the backmost fixed drings in order to get the steel tanks to not hang too low. I can see how the fixed side rubber d ring or the floating d ring would be good for aluminum though.

I am going to the quarry this friday so I might give the floating loops a try there. My question is where on the strap do you place the floating loop when you measure from the top node. In the middle, below the chest dring, ect??

I just got back from the pool. I had set up the ed style old school loop and it worked fine. I ended up using 13 lbs plus the two lp85 tanks with the heavy undergarments and drysuit. I was a bit topheavy so I'll try shifting the three weights lower down on the back. I really like the weight system, so much better than weight belt. I also found the I had to use the the backmost fixed drings in order to get the steel tanks to not hang too low. I can see how the fixed side rubber d ring or the floating d ring would be good for aluminum though.

I am going to the quarry this friday so I might give the floating loops a try there. My question is where on the strap do you place the floating loop when you measure from the top node. In the middle, below the chest dring, ect??

I have my floating loop above the d-ring on my harness, so that it will catch on the tri glide and not slide down the webbing when wrapped around my tank. I also measured my bungee and it is roughly 33" give or take.

That's interesting. Most pictures that I have seen place the floating loop below the chest dring. I like you idea of keeping it above. The advantage would be that the d chest dring is not held down by the bottle. It seems like a hybrid idea of the two pictures in the manual. When they place the bungee above the dring it is tied directly rather than connected via floating loop.

That's interesting. Most pictures that I have seen place the floating loop below the chest dring. I like you idea of keeping it above. The advantage would be that the d chest dring is not held down by the bottle. It seems like a hybrid idea of the two pictures in the manual. When they place the bungee above the dring it is tied directly rather than connected via floating loop.

Yea I noticed that in the manual as well, but I just didn't like the possibility of the tank(s) shifting.

The other thing I did was add a second set of d-rings for clipping off reg #2 and back up lights which are held down with a piece of tire tube to avoid the dangles. These second rings have a more pronounced bend to keep it up off the harness and lower rings. Because my tanks are attached there is some weight on the ring pulling it down, not a lot but its something I don't want to have to think about. Plus I can relocate these if I choose.

9ube4e7a.jpg

I did mine a little different.
IMG_1589.jpg
The bungee is little less than 25 inches from knot to knot which tucks the tanks up tight, if the loop is to long the tanks will hang to low. I also use 1/4 inch bungee and the red makes in easier to locate. I use the inside loop to connect my light to, outside loop for my bungees and I use the upper d-ring to clip off on long hose. I use a bolt snap around the neck of the tank and clip it off to the lower d-ring.

I did mine a little different.
View attachment 153638
The bungee is little less than 25 inches from knot to knot which tucks the tanks up tight, if the loop is to long the tanks will hang to low. I also use 1/4 inch bungee and the red makes in easier to locate. I use the inside loop to connect my light to, outside loop for my bungees and I use the upper d-ring to clip off on long hose. I use a bolt snap around the neck of the tank and clip it off to the lower d-ring.

You have to use a choker on the neck with this setup correct?

Back
Top Bottom