staying in FLL for the DEMA show in early Oct

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

corki

Reaction score
From the Pacific Northwest....hubby NAUI Dive Instructor/I am into dive travel.....usually dive Cozumel ......any suggestions for a couple of dive trips either close to FLL or one day trips down to the keys...dates 5 Oct-10 Oct. Will be staying off A1A and Sunrise.

Hi and welcome to the Right Coast... I'm from CA. I now live just over the bridge on Sunrise from A1A.

We have a ton to dive here. You can shore dive right off the beach in front of your hotel. The first reef is honeycombed with plenty to see. The second reef is a kick out - about 15 minutes - but without a current you will last about 1:45. Both are worth the experience. We've been doing shore dives almost every day straight for three weeks and have yet to tire of them. You should do at least one, maybe two, and visit other areas up A1A toward Commercial Blvd. Hollywood and Dania down south have great dives as well.

We also have several great dive operators, all within 5 miles north of where you're staying, as well as a NEW big boat just south in the Hyatt Pier sixty-six marina... I'll be diving it next week and will be glad to let you know how they are. Boat dives here run about $40-$45 and tanks about $7. Just about anyplace they take you will be worthwhile.

Key Largo is less than a 2-hour drive south where you can dive the biggest wreck in the world, the Spiegel Grove - an awesome trip. If you need some boat suggestions just ask! Every one of them seems outstanding but even so people have their favorites.

I'm actually jealous that you are visiting us, recalling what its like diving the California coast. Feel free to join or even set up some shore dives in advance of your trip; we have an active group of shore divers here.

In the Keys...check out Ocean Divers...They'll pro have a booth at DEMA

I know we will arrive early am on the 4th. Were taking a red eye flight (night of the 3rd) from Seattle....by the way I am orginally from San Francisco and Doug is from Spokane.
The first dive day would be the 5th (sunday) and probably every day until the 8th when the show starts and possibly the 10th (if he can get through all the new dive gear by then)....you know big boys and their toys.......I asked Doug last night about shore vs boat and he thougt maybe he would prefer the boat dive..and would also want a 6 pak boat....hates crowds.....but a shore dive would not be out of the question.
Do you think you might want to do a day trip to Key Largo. It would be great if he could go with someone that knows the area.
If any of this would work for you let me know.
Corki

were off to Seattle this weekend and will try and firm up a date...I will get back to you on monday...

check out our op at www.BlueWaterDiver.net

We're certified for 15, but take out a maximum of 10 divers per trip. For a six pack dive boat, check out HMS Minnow Charters. Jeff Jarvis runs a great trip aboard a 25' Parker. We're both located at the Holiday Inn docks, mile marker 100 oceanside.

Let me know if we can help.

Check out Pro Dive. I've been diving with them for years and they're a good group of folks with a nice 60 foot custom dive boat.

See ya at DEMA,

Scott

biggest wreck in the world, the Spiegel Grove
That should be "artificial reef" or something thereabouts, eh?
Bikini has a bunch of big ones, U.S.S. Saratoga- The worlds only air craft carrier that is available for diving. She is 880 ft long.
The Japanese Battleship Nagato- Admiral Yamamoto's flagship,
and the US Battleship Arkansas are some of the biggest.

Maybe we should have next year's DEMA in Bikini instead of Houston, eh?:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom