Staying in Cancun need diving info?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drmobil2002

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I will be staying at the Riu Cancun Oct. 5 - Oct. 8 2007. I need help or reccomendations on you to do my diving through. From what i understand Cancun is not that great for diving, so is there anyone that will pick us up and take us to Cozumel or is advice on what to do. i have did a couple of dives near Playa in the last 2 years and i am looking for a nice dive with more sea life or wrecks. We don't want to do cenotes this trip.

Thanks,

Danny

:confused:

hey danny,
cancun my friend is so under rated, when your here in oct you need to do a couple of dives and give it a chance, you said you wanted sealife and wrecks, cancuns got it, the wreck is a 1940 mexican navy, oct it hosts the schools of eagle rays, upto 30 strong if your lucky, and teh reefs, granted, not as colourful or good viz like cozumel but packed, i mean seriously packed with life, more so than cozumel, the reefs an average 50ft drift diving, long bottom time, 90ft viz its all good! i spent two yaers working in austrailia and after 3 years in cancun, over 1000+ dives here its still awesome!
if you want to do cozumel, yes we do cozumel trips but give cancun a shot, i know theres a few out there that have been thrilled with the diving.
www.mayanaquadive.com

ben

Danny,
I highly recomend that you check Ben out while in Cancun.
My Daughter's, Brother in law ,neighbor and I dove with him this past March and we all agree that his company is the way to go. We dove in small groups for all 8 dives(Cancun, Cozumel, and Cenote), with no more than 6 divers per dive. Their service was all that I could have asked for, they were very helpful with any of our needs. When we go back in a few years I will ber calling Ben for more diving.
Jim breslin

Hi Danny,

I agree with Jim. You cannot go wrong with Ben's outfit. Also, the RIU is nearly across the street from his OP. Coincidence?! I think not! :D

I've been diving with Ben since my cert. back in 11/04, when he was working for another OP. Took me a while prior to my last trip to track the bugger down to get my son certified with him. He'll be certifying my youngest daughter on this trip. I take my diving seriously and my instructors very seriously. Ben's the best around in my book.

He's a bit of a lightweight in the drinking department, but you can't have everything....

Right, mate?! :eyebrow:

light weight?? dont lie spratman, im an english man and drink warm beer, lots of it too, i ll give you a run for your money in august, but caipriñas are the flavor of the summer.
oh, by the way, i do have a jessica alba divemaster working with me, really i do, damn i hate my job!
hi jim, hope your keeping your dives up and your conference room fully stocked!! will look forward to diving again next time your around, hi to sarah and the rest of your family

caipriñas?? Sounds like a princess drink....:wink:

Well, you'll get your chance, mate! Watch my wife though, she scared the devil out of one Al's Army mates. I popped open a New Castle Brown for her, and you should have seen his face!! That was one of those "priceless" moments!! :D

Nah, really?? How come I don't see her in the advertisements?! Let's keep that a bit on the QT, eh? My wife won't let me out on the boat....:eyebrow:

Sorry, Danny, didn't mean to jack your thread. Just some of what you can look forward to...

drmobil2002:
From what i understand Cancun is not that great for diving,

i thought the same. i am not sure why cancun has this reputation. i was there in december. only got a couple of dives in with Ben because the weather sucked. however, fish life was impressive. definitely saw a lot more fish than in cozumel.

Thanks for the help.....I am going to go through BEN and we will have a good time. By the way I am Dutch, so prepare to meet your match in beer drinking. I drink Caparinas here in Houston, TX all the time. It is hard to find a place that makes them good down here. Last year when I was in Playa and stayed at the Barcelo Maya Tropical, a couple of those bar tenders make a mean Caparina.

Look forward to seeing you in Oct. Ben i will be in touch when it gets closer.

Danny

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom