Staying Downtown and diving at a shop 30 min away?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whatever they're charging, I don't like prepaid packages, especially in the winter when many days are blowouts. My Op offers multi-day discounts, but I like more flexibility as well as paying only for the dives I do.

From what I can see, the savings for packages is minimal. Maybe $3 per dive.
I do like being able to try different shops but will I have an issue finding space on a boat Jan 3-9? Would it be better to put all my dive eggs in one basket?

I do like being able to try different shops but will I have an issue finding space on a boat Jan 3-9? Would it be better to put all my dive eggs in one basket?

I like diving with different people or ops but I live here and deal with my equipment.

One advantage of the shops he referred to is that they will manage your equipment, just show up in the morning is all that is required of you - I’d think all those shops even set your equipment up.

Pick one, dive all week with them, they get to know you, you get to know them. A week full of first dates isn’t all that fun :)

Ok, $3/dive is not worthy of consideration, and there are the risks I mentioned in prepaid bookings.

I agree with Chuck. Pick an Op, let them rinse & store your gear between dives, let them get to know your abilities, tip daily tho as DMs & skippers switch out at times (and they learn that you're not going to stiff them :) ), etc. I don't expect anyone to rinse my dive suit, tho. I'd take my 1 mil long back to the room to rinse it, leave my 3 mil shorty in a large, cloth bag for them to store - not expecting it to be rinsed until packing day.

I have no idea how busy the Ops will be then. Salty Endeavors was adding a second boat, but I don't know if it's ready. Competition is so strong that you can't go wrong on any selection as long as they seem to meet your needs.

I like the Iberostar for family vacations. Dressel is definitely very inexpensive if you prepay and buy a weeks worth of 2 tanks...and Nitrox is free....and they fill their own tanks so you actually get 3100 psi...BUT...the diving is meh.

When I stay there I have one of the other dive ops pick me up notably Tres Pelicanos (3P).

When I stay in town, I stay at Casa Mexicana and again dive with 3P. Their shop is <5 min walk from the hotel. You meet there in the morning and they taxi you (at their cost) to and from the marina. They store and wash all your gear if you wish.

Definitely dive with one of the operations mentioned in this thread.

HOWEVER, I have been told by others that the island is super crowded in that holiday period and the taxi ride to the marina is very long. If I was going at that period, I'd avoid that completely, stay at the Iberostar, let my boyfriend enjoy the great resort and pool and either dive with dressel or have one of the ops mentioned here pick you up at the Iberostar.

Rent a scooter. Its one of my favorite parts of diving on Coz. i rent an AirBnB in a residential neighborhood for $20 and a scooter for another $15 and have the joy of riding back and forth to marina. Good fun.

"Terrible terrible advice. Don't do this."

But why?

Daily accidents in heavy unpredictable traffic, monthly fatalities. Suspensions on most mopeds are shot and the streets are full of pot holes. Taxistas see mopeds as targets. These comments are no joke and come from people who have many years on the island (me 27).

Dave Dillehay

No financial interest in any dive shop

PS Aldora has 8 boats and does a pretty good job of segregating divers with same skills and interests.

Terrible terrible advice. Don't do this.

Daily accidents in heavy unpredictable traffic, monthly fatalities. Suspensions on most mopeds are shot and the streets are full of pot holes. Taxistas see mopeds as targets. These comments are no joke and come from people who have many years on the island (me 27).

Dave Dillehay

Yikes. OK. Advice rescinded.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom